Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Hearns have the best Jab of all time p4p?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Hearns have the best Jab of all time p4p?

I've been making a lot of threads lately in Boxing history. This one is about the jab.

p4p, Hearns had an incredible jab. It was non telegraphed, fast, and hard. As well as Accurate. It wasn't a lazy jab either.

I can find other great Jabs but Hearns was near perfect.

Liston and Lewis both had long Jabs, Listons was very heavy as well. At the same time they weren't that fast however.

Holmes had a quick snapping jab, an ATG Jab. One can argue it was thrown a lot of the time from the hip however, which means he was open for a counter right (he took from Tyson and Shavers) and it probably wasn't as stiff as it could have been.

Ali had a fast and accurate Jab but he flicked it, wasn't a very stiff Jab.

DLH had a great Jab, similar to Hearns but shorter reach.

Foreman had a great Jab. He didn't telegraph it and it was HEAVY. Not the quickest though.

Whitaker probably had the best southpaw Jab I've ever seen. Probably a shade better than Haglers. He could even land it against boxers much taller than him.

any others?
    Last edited by them_apples; 02-02-2012, 11:03 AM.

Quartey imo.

Comment

It's not the best jab p4p, but since he seldom gets any praise in this section I'm just gonna say Wladimir Klitschko has a very very good jab.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
        It's not the best jab p4p, but since he seldom gets any praise in this section I'm just gonna say Wladimir Klitschko has a very very good jab.
        he does I agree. Even his brother has a good Jab as well.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
          Quartey imo.

perosnally i think that the HW division is where you see the most impact of the stand alone jab because of the size and range of the men in the ring

they're often so far away from eachother
          and they can bust you up without using much other than a jab
          if you ask me for great jabbers i'll usually rattle off HW first
          holmes
          ali
          liston

quartey used a jab a bit like a HW
          it was a stand alone jab. p4p it's probably the hardest and one of the most consistent.
          ba zoo ka

hearns jab was terrific, given how heavy and fast it was, how much range he had, how well he used the distance,
          but more importantly it set up a right hand at the correct range that would end the fight.

if anybody wants to make an argument for any of the guys mentioned and quite a few others i'll hear them out
          i'll also add to the pot

louis
          robinson

Comment

Possibly.... But I would still side with Ali/Holmes first

Comment

The best overall is Ali because he utilized the punch for a variety of reasons. He used it to set up punches, it was his depth finder he also gauged his opponents reactions off of it and then knew how to counter their counter to it. If he wanted to he could step straight in and pronate at its end and hurt and cut with it. Ali could hook off his jab but his opponents knew well enough not to let that happen because the right hand was coming and that punch is the one they didn't see!
              Power wise George Forman was devasting! His jab hurt people simple as that. I worked pads with some pretty hard punching fighters like Ernie Shavers and Mike Tyson and thos punches were hard to catagorize as "jabs"! hahaha!!! Those fellows could hurt you bad if you just stood there!!!
              Strangely enough Ken Norton jabs was very good it came from under when he cross armed defended and would cut it loose from there. He had good reach and his punches hurt also.
              Joe Louis had a great jab and like Ali used it for a variety of reasons, mostly a reach gauge for that right cross.
              The jab is an important punch but when ineffective can get you in alot of trouble, quick! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Quartey imo.
                Beat me too it,he had an incredible jab

Comment

Harold Johnson's is very underrated.

One of the best in Light Heavyweight History IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Harold Johnson's is very underrated.

One of the best in Light Heavyweight History IMO.
                    Another I feel is under-rated is Hagler's. That jab was a piston if I ever saw one. Could switch up too.

As for the original question. Yeah it might well be. Hearns has a number of ATG punches.

Straight Right.
                    Jab.
                    Letf Hook/Straight right body.

Comment

Working...
                    X