Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Floyd beats Mosley, should he move up if the Pacquiao fight doesn't happen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Floyd beats Mosley, should he move up if the Pacquiao fight doesn't happen?

If Floyd can get past Mosley, aside from Pacquiao (which seems pretty unlikely at this point) there aren't many other choices of opponents available. Berto is the only elite WW outside of Floyd, Pac and Mosley, but he hasn't done anything to prove that he's ready for the big three (actually, he's kinda proved that he's not ready). However if he fights Cotto and somehow finds a way to win, then a fight between him and Floyd would be demanded.

But if Berto-Cotto doesn't happen, or Berto loses (which is likely), should Mayweather move up to 154? There are some pretty good names at 154, but they haven't done s**t recently. Perhaps in the next 12 months they could do something big. For an example if Yuri Foreman beat Cotto, and then went on to beat Cory Spinks (or if Spinks beat him), I'd have no problem a clash with Floyd. Or if Cintron somehow found a way to beat Paul Williams, a fight between him and Floyd would be huge. However, a fight a certainly would NOT want to see is Mayweather-Cotto. That fight has absolutely no meaning at this point, unless Cotto pulled a lucky Sanders and KO'ed Pacquiao at 154, and I wouldn't EVER bet on that happening. I'd actually bet on Pac stopping him by the end of the 6th.

If its a close fight and the Pac fight doesn't come off, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight again.

Comment

Who does berto need to fight to prove hes ready for the top 3 WW?

Comment

Originally posted by COACH-WEBB View Post
        If its a close fight and the Pac fight doesn't come off, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fight again.
        I doubt it. That would be a big risk, no reward fight for Floyd. He can make just as much money with another opponent. If he beat Shane and then fought him again, he'd just give Shane a chance to adjust to what Floyd does and come up with a better gameplan.

Comment

I doubt arum will make floyd/cotto with all the bad blood between GBP and TR.

there' no one to fight at 154 except martinez and pwill and I doubt pbf will take those risky fights.

pbf will probably fight some 140 lber. either the winner of khan/malignaggi or campbell/ortiz. he might even fight matt hatton in england.

Comment

Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
            no one. he's ready as he'll ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by JonoYoungP4P View Post
              Cotto. I mentioned that in the first post. However I think Cotto would beat him, unless Berto had a dramatic change in footwork and reflexes. Financially it wouldn't be a good fight unless Berto had a good name on his resume. Collazo and Quintana aren't enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
                I doubt arum will make floyd/cotto with all the bad blood between GBP and TR.

there' no one to fight at 154 except martinez and pwill and I doubt pbf will take those risky fights.

pbf will probably fight some 140 lber. either the winner of khan/malignaggi or campbell/ortiz. he might even fight matt hatton in england.
                I can understand if you don't like the guy, but come on don't take it that far. Floyd would NEVER fight Matthew Hatton. HBO wouldn't even accept that fight, and Schaefer made it clear that they never talked with Hatton Promotions about that fight. Didn't Matt just have a close fight with a 40 year old journeyman? The Khan-Malignaggi and Campbell-Ortiz winner would bring no money, and they both have Bradley to worry about as a mandatory. And he's not fighting anymore small opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerDood View Post
                  If Floyd can get past Mosley, aside from Pacquiao (which seems pretty unlikely at this point) there aren't many other choices of opponents available. Berto is the only elite WW outside of Floyd, Pac and Mosley, but he hasn't done anything to prove that he's ready for the big three (actually, he's kinda proved that he's not ready). However if he fights Cotto and somehow finds a way to win, then a fight between him and Floyd would be demanded.

But if Berto-Cotto doesn't happen, or Berto loses (which is likely), should Mayweather move up to 154? There are some pretty good names at 154, but they haven't done s**t recently. Perhaps in the next 12 months they could do something big. For an example if Yuri Foreman beat Cotto, and then went on to beat Cory Spinks (or if Spinks beat him), I'd have no problem a clash with Floyd. Or if Cintron somehow found a way to beat Paul Williams, a fight between him and Floyd would be huge. However, a fight a certainly would NOT want to see is Mayweather-Cotto. That fight has absolutely no meaning at this point, unless Cotto pulled a lucky Sanders and KO'ed Pacquiao at 154, and I wouldn't EVER bet on that happening. I'd actually bet on Pac stopping him by the end of the 6th.
                  people look at manny and think anyone can just keep moving up. floyd doesnt have the special powers he has. 147 is a fine weight. unless you want to see him fight james kierkland when he gets out of prison. wow that would be a slaughter. he may be able to beat sergio martinez, but so what? he would just have to make ideal matchups for himself at 154, which some argue he is doing now at 147.
                  Last edited by boxing_pundit85; 04-20-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

If he beats Mosely and Pac continues ducking the mega fight, I think Floyd should fight Berto.

Comment

Working...
                    X