No announcement yet.

If Lewis wasn't screwed in his first loss against McCall

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Lewis wasn't screwed in his first loss against McCall

I felt Lennox Lewis was screwed big time by Don King in his first defeat to Oliver McCall back in 1994, yes he got careless and was caught, but Lewis was up on his feet and didn't seem hurt and the referee waived the fight.

If Lewis was allowed to continue, he would knock McCall out late in the fight, now my question, what will be the course in the heavyweight division if Lewis stayed undefeated, who will he fight next.

My belief is that there's no way Lewis will give 46-years old Larry Holmes a title shot, like McCall did, unlike Foreman, who has a puncher's chance against Michael Moorer. There were reports then of a Bowe-Lewis fight finally happening but I doubt it since Bowe's win over Larry Donald was just a confidence-booster, Big Daddy was never ready for Lewis, and the WBO champion at that time, Herbie Hide was as an attractive opponent for Bowe.

Most likely, Ray Mercer will get a title shot at Lewis next, and Holyfield will take on an easy opponent for a comeback fight.

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post
    I felt Lennox Lewis was screwed big time by Don King in his first defeat to Oliver McCall back in 1994, yes he got careless and was caught, but Lewis was up on his feet and didn't seem hurt and the referee waived the fight.

If Lewis was allowed to continue, he would knock McCall out late in the fight, now my question, what will be the course in the heavyweight division if Lewis stayed undefeated, who will he fight next.

My belief is that there's no way Lewis will give 46-years old Larry Holmes a title shot, like McCall did, unlike Foreman, who has a puncher's chance against Michael Moorer. There were reports then of a Bowe-Lewis fight finally happening but I doubt it since Bowe's win over Larry Donald was just a confidence-booster, Big Daddy was never ready for Lewis, and the WBO champion at that time, Herbie Hide was as an attractive opponent for Bowe.

Most likely, Ray Mercer will get a title shot at Lewis next, and Holyfield will take on an easy opponent for a comeback fight.
    I quit reading after you posted that Lewis was screwed. Horse poop! Lewis was knocked down hard and was staggering all over the place when he got up. A just stoppage!

Comment

I've always thought that Lewis should have been given a chance to fight back. It was just the 2nd round and the damage was caused by only one punch. The referee could have quickly stopped the fight if Lennox was unable to defend himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Emon723 View Post

It was definitely a quick stoppage but Lewis was badly hurt and I doubt he would have survived the round. Unfortunately the referees ridiculously quick stoppage prevented a conclusive ending and generated controversy.

Comment

I seen a lot worse stoppages and Lewis had trouble standing still. But it would have been great if the let it go longer because it was a title bout.

Comment

I found the stoppage legit, but to the early side. Lennox was up, but he was badly hurt. There's no doubt in my mind that he would have been badly flattened had it continued. The fact that he wasn't counted out was academic.

Comment

I had no problem either with the stoppage. Lewis was not on steady legs.

I remember watching McCall enter the ring, seeing behind him Steward, Giachetti, Mike Marley and Don King. It was obvious he was prepared to win the title.
              McCall definitely was well trained and he definitely had the corner, if corner's can win fights. He had Emanuel Steward and Richie Giachetti as trainers. In the rematch Lewis had Steward and was a different fighter, fighting behind the jab and no longer walking in trading. That is how I seen it anyways.

Comment

Few thoughts

1. Poster says Lewis would have ko'd McCall... I have to totally disagree, Oliver's chin is the GOAT. Dude has never even been down in his career, let alone knocked out,, Lewis bombed on him in the rematch and Oliver didn't even buckle

2. Can't believe Lewis was 29.. I remember this quite well, but never really realized he was so old,, always felt like he was 24,25 when this happened because it's usually portrayed as being in the early part of his career

3 stoppage was legit, he was up but staggering all over the place,and if u watch him, he buckles again after ref waves it off.. Other fights I have seen them let it go on, but this wasn't a bad stoppage or screw job,,, dude had no control of his legs

4. If don king did screw Lewis, than he has some serious pull to get a foreign country champ who is turning into a future cash cow, screwed over in his home turf to a virtual unknown

Comment

lewis was really techincally flawed and open when he punched. if he didn't lose to mccall, someone else would have taken advantage and beaten him.

it was a good thing for him in the long run to have lost here and hired manny to work on his flaws.

Comment

I also think he should have been allowed to continue. He was hurt badly though, for sure. Although Lewis has overcome adversity early in a fight several times in his career, but not quite to this extent.

Comment

Working...
                    X