Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doesn't matter that Cotto and Marg are passed their prime. This is real beef

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't matter that Cotto and Marg are passed their prime. This is real beef

The people saying this fight doesn't mean anything are missing the point of the fight, and missing the great storyline that goes with it. The Thrilla in Manila was the greatest heavyweight fight in history, and it featured an aging,slowing Muhammed Ali against an aging,slowing Joe Frazier.

This fight is about pride, and vengeance. Whether Margarito knowingly cheated, it's obvious Miguel Cotto thinks he did. And whether Cotto has any real evidence, it's clear Margarito wants to shut his mouth with his fists.

So what we have is two men who don't like each other, and the way that they settle this is in the ring. Yes, it's for a 154 lb title, but who cares. They could be fighting for the Interim Interim Intercontinental NABFKLNOA belt and this fight would mean the same thing. At the end of the day it's about settling a score that has needed settling since the wrap scandal broke. Passed their prime, yes. But these guys hate each other just as much now as they did when they first fought 3 years ago, probably much more actually, and that makes this fight as interesting as almost any pound for pound match up out there. Great motivation makes great fights as much as great talent does. Glad I'll be in the Garden to witness it first hand.

Originally posted by dc6112 View Post
    The people saying this fight doesn't mean anything are missing the point of the fight, and missing the great storyline that goes with it. The Thrilla in Manila was the greatest heavyweight fight in history, and it featured an aging,slowing Muhammed Ali against an aging,slowing Joe Frazier.

This fight is about pride, and vengeance. Whether Margarito knowingly cheated, it's obvious Miguel Cotto thinks he did. And whether Cotto has any real evidence, it's clear Margarito wants to shut his mouth with his fists.

So what we have is two men who don't like each other, and the way that they settle this is in the ring. Yes, it's for a 154 lb title, but who cares. They could be fighting for the Interim Interim Intercontinental NABFKLNOA belt and this fight would mean the same thing. At the end of the day it's about settling a score that has needed settling since the wrap scandal broke. Passed their prime, yes. But these guys hate each other just as much now as they did when they first fought 3 years ago, probably much more actually, and that makes this fight as interesting as almost any pound for pound match up out there. Great motivation makes great fights as much as great talent does. Glad I'll be in the Garden to witness it first hand.
    amen to this

Comment

Don't know why people always so Cotto is passed his prime. He's still very good and dangerous as a fighter. His only losses are to a guy with loaded gloves and a roided guy at a bad catchweight. Untill he looks like shlt in a fight, he's still an elite fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtsss View Post
        Don't know why people always so Cotto is passed his prime. He's still very good and dangerous as a fighter. His only losses are to a guy with loaded gloves and a roided guy at a bad catchweight. Untill he looks like shlt in a fight, he's still an elite fighter.
        what do you base that on the Mayorga and Foreman fights?

this is a lame fight truth be told I could think of 4 JrMW both would lose to, Froch vs Ward is the only big fight I'm looking forward to this year.

Comment

interesting fight yes, but both being passed their prime does matter imo. and what really takes the piss is the fact that its at a fcukin catchweight.

Comment

how is this "real" beef?
            it's a rematch, they happen alot and most fighters dont hold grudges

ali-frazier was completely different, what ali did was legit ****ed up, not simply spanking him in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              what do you base that on the Mayorga and Foreman fights?

this is a lame fight truth be told I could think of 4 JrMW both would lose to, Froch vs Ward is the only big fight I'm looking forward to this year.
              what do you base on him being passed prime? losing to margarito and pacquiao? because in his prime he doesn't lose?

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
                how is this "real" beef?
                it's a rematch, they happen alot and most fighters dont hold grudges
                Cotto & margarito don't like eachother. I don't know how that couldn't be clear. Plus, Cotto believes Margarito cheated and if that's true, far worse than what Ali did, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by thoughtsss View Post
                  I don't know about the roided part, but I agree with everything else you said.
                  Guy's got 2 Ls on his record and has a whole pile of good names in his W column. Don't know why so many dog the **** out of him all the time.

Marg has an impressive if suspect record as well.

The bad blood is real and these are 2 tough and accomplished sonsab1tches.

The TS is right on the money.

W
                  A
                  R

C
                  O
                  T
                  T
                  O
                  !!

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
                    interesting fight yes, but both being passed their prime does matter imo. and what really takes the piss is the fact that its at a fcukin catchweight.
                    It's 1 lb. The only reason to complain about the fight being at 153 is because you're looking for something to complain about. This makes just about 0 difference in how the fight will go. Do you think Tony or Miguel making 153 instead of 154 will make a huge difference as to the outcome? The whole catchweight thing was more about the two camps playing mindgames than anyone actually caring about what weight this gets fought at.

It doesn't matter what weight, for what belt, and in what country this gets fought in, although that its at MSG is awesome. It's about the rivalry between two men who don't like each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X