No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chris Algieri Thriving In The Limelight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chris Algieri Thriving In The Limelight

By Jake Donovan - If you asked the question around this time last year, few if any observers would have guessed that Chris Algieri is in the position he’s in today.

It was beyond anyone’s wildest predictions that he’d hold a major title in the 140 lb. division, or that he’d serve as New York’s only current full titlist. Nor did hardly anyone imagine that the unbeaten Long Islander would so quickly land a dream assignment versus Manny Pacquiao – and that he’d have to carry the bulk of the promotion, to boot.

Of course, Algieri has always believed in himself, and is relishing every bit of his newfound fame.

“It’s been fantastic. It’s the kind of stuff that you want as a fighter coming up,” Algieri (20-0, 8KOs) says of the additional exposure that has come with his welterweight title challenge versus Pacquiao, this Saturday at Cotai Arena in Macau, China. “I am now a champion and fighting at the elite level and you want this kind of exposure. A lot of guys say this, but when it comes they really don’t want it.

“I’m not that kind of guy. This stuff gets me up. My open workouts are like fight day. I’ve got a lot of pressure on me and I ride it to the top. I am enjoying my time here and my time under the microscope and I believe that has helped out whole team step up to perform that much better.”

Algieri became the unlikeliest of candidates following a major upset win over Ruslan Provodnikov in June. The outcome remains disputed – many have contended that the split decision verdict should have gone the other way – but that the fight itself took place when it did spoke volumes of Algieri’s eagerness to bring his career to the next level. [Click Here To Read More]

Props for Manny on taking this fight.

Manny has been taking fighters that has the tools for the upset. un-like the other guy having a vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by vincecup17 View Post

Manny has been taking fighters that has the tools for the upset. un-like the other guy having a vacation.
      lol Chris Algieri, a guy with 8 KOs who's claim to fame is scraping by on points against a limited brawler while his face looked like mush. Some challenge.

Comment

Mayweather never ever thought of fighting the 6 foot Paul williams. Mayweather is 5'8. COme to think of that.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
          lol Chris Algieri, a guy with 8 KOs who's claim to fame is scraping by on points against a limited brawler while his face looked like mush. Some challenge.
          bet your 100 MIL to my 3000 points. Algerbra will win this fight.

Comment

Mayweather never ever thought of fighting the 6 foot Paul williams. Mayweather is 5'8. COme to think of that.
            That's true, Floyd "retired" when the WW division got hot and went into hiding. That doesn't make Algieri a very credible fighter, he's no Punisher. This certainly isn't PPV worthy.

bet your 100 MIL to my 3000 points. Algerbra will win this fight.
            I'm actually pulling for Chris Alchichis, but I just don't see him winning the fight honestly. However, I'll take that bet, I'll send you 50 million if Algieri wins, if he doesn't you just send me one point. Yes, just one.
            Last edited by _original_; 11-20-2014, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Why do Manny fans keep saying this crap? You truly think Chris has done more in boxing over Rios? And Rios is trash, but has accomplished a lot more than Algieri. Maidana, Guerrero, and Canelo are all multiple weight champs, is Chris?

Why dont Manny fans just admit its not Chris Algieri, ITS HIS STYLE OF BOXING. basically u all r saying manny is going to be challenged by a true boxer who is lightyears away from being a top 5 p4p fighter, and he never will be, his defense is average and his countering ability is subpar, lol.

hes tall has reach and has a jab, better fighters out there with those intangibles my friend

Comment

Be real dude floyd fough oscar in 07 then signed to fight hatton in august 07, pw fought margs that year and lost to quintana in early 08.

pw and goosen never offered floyd a fight ever. And vice versa.

And lets be real if u claim floyd ducked pw then margs ducked the rematch so did cotto mosley and the rest of the ww at the time.

Sounds dumb when u try and claim only 1 fighter ducked him when all wws at the time really did and floyd never had an offer

Comment

Originally posted by Thutch2412 View Post
                  Be real dude floyd fough oscar in 07 then signed to fight hatton in august 07, pw fought margs that year and lost to quintana in early 08.

pw and goosen never offered floyd a fight ever. And vice versa.

And lets be real if u claim floyd ducked pw then margs ducked the rematch so did cotto mosley and the rest of the ww at the time.

Sounds dumb when u try and claim only 1 fighter ducked him when all wws at the time really did and floyd never had an offer
                  Floyd semi-retired when his hands cant handle balls in WW. And he went back fighting lightweights coming 2 pounds overweight.

On a side note, Algiere will easily school Rios, Bradley, Mere Khon

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    why do people keep bringing up the ko's like thats the only way to win fights? floyd has less kos than manny so what does that means? LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X