No announcement yet.

goal of shadow boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goal of shadow boxing

i think shadow boxing is one of the best exercises to do.
    some of my personal goal with shadow boxing:
    1. rhythm (controlled pace, then explode at right times)
    2. conditioning (endurance) (done as fast as possible)
    3. speed (done as fast as possible)
    4. muscle memory for combinations (slowly work up to speed)
    5. footwork (slowly work up to speed)
    6. typical warmup

I put 2 and 3 there because with other exercises on bags etc, you don't actually get to condition/train as much (maybe double end bag) of your "recoil" speed. ie pulling back punches.
    also, since you are constantly "missing" all your punches, this is also going to be a lot better for endurance than hitting a heavy big..

anything else anyone would like to share/add?

4 is really the main goal of shadow boxing.

To do so many reps that the technique is embeded in your muscles, so that your body can react to openings without any thought with perfect technique.

IMO I didn't really get good at sparring until my body started doing the right things without me even thinking about it, and I truly believe that came from all the shadowboxing I did.

It's actually pretty surprising when that happens.

Comment

Conditioning, speed, muscle memory, and working on your combinations with full extension. Full extension without over extension is key.

Comment

I do it for muscle memory and for perfecting my technique, both punching and footwork.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
          4 is really the main goal of shadow boxing.

To do so many reps that the technique is embeded in your muscles, so that your body can react to openings without any thought with perfect technique.

IMO I didn't really get good at sparring until my body started doing the right things without me even thinking about it, and I truly believe that came from all the shadowboxing I did.

It's actually pretty surprising when that happens.
          i get you!! i remember the few times i did something automatically and i was like "omg eureka!"
          Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          Conditioning, speed, muscle memory, and working on your combinations with full extension. Full extension without over extension is key.
          ah yes full extension without over extension very important!

do people not do it to work on speed/endurance tho?

Comment

I work speed and endurance on the heavybag.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivansmamma View Post
              I work speed and endurance on the heavybag.
              mmmm i seee

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                i think shadow boxing is one of the best exercises to do.
                some of my personal goal with shadow boxing:
                1. rhythm (controlled pace, then explode at right times)
                2. conditioning (endurance) (done as fast as possible)
                3. speed (done as fast as possible)
                4. muscle memory for combinations (slowly work up to speed)
                5. footwork (slowly work up to speed)
                6. typical warmup

I put 2 and 3 there because with other exercises on bags etc, you don't actually get to condition/train as much (maybe double end bag) of your "recoil" speed. ie pulling back punches.
                also, since you are constantly "missing" all your punches, this is also going to be a lot better for endurance than hitting a heavy big..

anything else anyone would like to share/add?
                shadow boxing is all of the things that you mentioned, but you left out the most important thing. Seeing it in your minds eye and then reacting, appropriately and in form, with your physical actions. shadow boxing begins in the mind, learn to work it. Otherwise you're just standing there throwing punches.......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3G...eature=mh_lolz .........Rockin'
                Last edited by Rockin'; 04-18-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  shadow boxing is all of the things that you mentioned, but you left out the most important thing. Seeing it in your minds eye and then reacting, appropriately and in form, with your physical actions. shadow boxing begins in the mind, learn to work it. Otherwise you're just standing there throwing punches.......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3G...eature=mh_lolz .........Rockin'
                  ah.. great point.. i've always had trouble "imagining" a "proper" situation for any longer than a few jabs and crosses...
                  could you give me some tips on this? other than just practicing.. haha.. i guesss thats the only way >__>... adfadiufhha i think i have ADHD lol

FUCK I SHOULD BE STUDYING RIGHT NOW.. FINALSSSSSSSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                  X