Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's more Important for a Boxer, Recognition or Opposition?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's more Important for a Boxer, Recognition or Opposition?

a lot of fighters today are recognized as multiple weight world champions. is it really worth anything? i mean is it enough to be a legitimate HOFer?

let's take broner for example, he's a 3 weight world champ but after his loss, many believe he was just another hype job.

how about opposition, the caliber of opponents one faces. styles make fights. arturo gatti was a 2 weight world champion, has participated in 4 "fights of the year" (2 wins) and an inductee of the IBHOF.

i guess it's a combination of both recognition and opposition to be a legit HOF. one without the other can't reach HOF level.

your thoughts?

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
    a lot of fighters today are recognized as multiple weight world champions. is it really worth anything? i mean is it enough to be a legitimate HOFer?

let's take broner for example, he's a 3 weight world champ but after his loss, many believe he was just another hype job.

how about opposition, the caliber of opponents one faces. styles make fights. arturo gatti was a 2 weight world champion, has participated in 4 "fights of the year" (2 wins) and an inductee of the IBHOF.

i guess it's a combination of both recognition and opposition to be a legit HOF. one without the other can't reach HOF level.

your thoughts?

I frankly have more respect for fighters who give consistently exciting fights and efforts, than those who have achieved a great deal on paper. It depends on the fighter on what they want to pursue in their legacy, but I personally merit terrific and gut-wrenching performances over accolades any day.

Comment

it's about opposition
      it's obviously better to have a title than not to have one
      but if you beat top fighters, whether or not they have belts is null
      beating a scrub don't mean much even if they hold a title

Comment

Fighters crave the recognition,fans desire quality opposition.Mayweather loves the recognition,but is loathe to fight legit opposition.

Comment

Recognition comes with opposition. Look at Mayweather... titles and an undefeated record yet zero respect; he is the joke of the sport. Same with Calzaghe...

However, look at Pacquiao despite the losses he has suffered, he is perhaps the most respected fighter of our generation and considered on of the greatest of all time. He has been a warrior and has put it all on the line for better or worse for himself but people appreciate that.

People are not dumb, well most are not anyways, and at the end of the day fighters are ultimately respect for the opposition they fought.

Comment

opposition is more important

the term "paper champion" exists for a reason

ATG status = resume = wins against hall of fame fighters in their prime

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
              Recognition comes with opposition. Look at Mayweather... titles and an undefeated record yet zero respect; he is the joke of the sport. Same with Calzaghe...

However, look at Pacquiao despite the losses he has suffered, he is perhaps the most respected fighter of our generation and considered on of the greatest of all time. He has been a warrior and has put it all on the line for better or worse for himself but people appreciate that.

People are not dumb, well most are not anyways, and at the end of the day fighters are ultimately respect for the opposition they fought.
              well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                Recognition comes with opposition. Look at Mayweather... titles and an undefeated record yet zero respect; he is the joke of the sport.Same with Calzaghe...

Sounds more like GGG lol, Mayweather clearly has respect of any real boxing fans, (as does GGG but not his opposition)

Comment

I think fighters are all financially driven for the most part. If they can get away with milking paper titles they will. If a fight happens to arise that ups the financial ante AND the opposition level then thats what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                    Sounds more like GGG lol, Mayweather clearly has respect of any real boxing fans, (as does GGG but not his opposition)
                    Fans respect and recognize Mayweather's immense boxing ability moreso than any other fighter in the sport. It doesn't mean they necessarily respect his opposition.

I respect the Broner's skill and I recognize he's a pretty good fighter to make it to his level, but it doesn't mean I respect his arrogance or his opponent choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X