Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Salido-Lomachenko To Face Gary Russell Jr. Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Salido-Lomachenko To Face Gary Russell Jr. Next?

The World Boxing Organization officially sanctioned the fight between champion Orlando Salido and prospect Vasyl Lomachenko, set for March 1 in San Antonio, Texas. But the fight was sanctioned on the basis of the winner facing the "mandatory challenger within 75 days." The boxer currently ranked as the number one contender is undefeated Gary Russell Jr. (24-0, 14KOs).

[Click Here To Read More]

I understand Lomachenko getting a title shot in his second fight due to his outstanding amateur career, the fact that he won 2 gold medals, the fact that he fought in the WSB and won, and even the fact that his first official pro fight was a 10 rounder against a pretty solid fighter. But Gary Russell Jr on the other hand is still fighting 8 rounders against opposition that is far less then ordinary and in the 5 years as a professional there's never even been an attempt to increase his opposition by a notch. I think that there are far better fights to be made for the winner of Lomachenko vs Salido and I think that Russell Jr needs to fight a few guys that if not considered contenders at least freaking prospects because he's never even done that.

Comment

They might as well bypass the 75 days and go directly to purse bid, cause there's no way Bob is willingly gonna give GRJ a title shot.

When did GRJ become a GBP fighter? Anybody, must have been recent.

Comment

Lomachenko vs Russel Jr. would be nuts. Sadly it is never going to happen though.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post
          They might as well bypass the 75 days and go directly to purse bid, cause there's no way Bob is willingly gonna give GRJ a title shot.

When did GRJ become a GBP fighter? Anybody, must have been recent.
          Im pretty sure hes not signed with any promoter, but there is another problem, Russell is with Haymon.

75 days is a very quick turn around, only 2.5 months

Comment

It would be awesome if true !

But as many here know... its never that easy in the game of boxing.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see what the winner of Salido vs. Lomachenko does.

If Nonito Donaire vs. Simpiwe Vetyeka (W.B.A. Champ) happens and Doniare wins Top Rank would have that belt, and they already have the I.B.F. Champ Evgeny Gradovich. So the winner of Salido vs. Lomachenko could just vacate the W.B.O. title if they wanted to. And if the winner of Salido vs. Lomachenko does fight and beat Gary Russell Jr. we could see a W.B.O. x W.B.A. x I.B.F. Unified Champ by the end of this year because Top Rank would have 3 title holders at 126 and the fights would be easy to make.

Comment

Either wipe the floor with little Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                  Either wipe the floor with little Gary.
                  Yup!

Comment

i know Lomachenko has an extensive background but man are they pushing this guy fast does top rank only have a couple fights with him or what lol

Comment

Working...
                    X