Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you imagine what people would say about Pernell Whitaker if he fought today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say he is my favorite fighter ever. Oh wait, I already do say that

Comment

Originally posted by Since 1985 View Post
      Boxing= the ability to hit and not get hit, hence the term the "sweet science". There's a difference between boxing and fighting.
      right, but the boxing style = outside fighter

boxing, the name of the game, also pugilism, is simply a fight with fists only

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd Sinclair View Post
        Only Floyd Mayweather would be able to beat him. Boxers like Cotto, pacuiao, Hatton...they woulda got schooled and embarrased by Sweet Pea. He basically beat De La Hoya back in 96. Mosley is another guy that would been easy work for prime pea. Guys like Ortiz, Berto, zab judah, khan, whoever.
        The man's skills were amazing. Boxing=boringgo watch a bar fight.

Comment

Whitaker didn't run, and did engage though. He'd also be the best fighter in the world, bar none IMO.

Comment

This video speaks for itself. A certified ATG!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
              Whitaker didn't run, and did engage though. He'd also be the best fighter in the world, bar none IMO.
              Floyd doesn't run either, yet some people say that he does. Ring generalship=running smh. Too many people don't appreciate what boxing really is.

Comment

Floyd doesn't run either, yet some people say that he does. Ring generalship=running smh. Too many people don't appreciate what boxing really is.
                But a lot of people think Floyd and Sweet Pea fought similarly. Outside of both being supreme defensive fighters, they don't fight similarly at all to me.

Personally I think Whitaker is five times more exciting than Floyd.

Comment

I could see it now. All Sweet Pea does is run. Pernell hits like a girl. Pernell isn't a good offensive fighter. How can he win fights fighting on the back foot? He's a boring counter puncher that isn't aggressive. Lol so many people don't appreciate what boxing really is. What a shame!
                  Pernell Whitaker is one of the finest defensive fighters to ever live. I simply love watching his fights even now; the skill that he displayed was truly a thing of absolute beauty. I remember Larry Merchant saying once, "With hand speed like that, you’d think he should be catching birds." I loved that line.

I see Mayweather beating Pernell however, as skilled as he was, Mayweather represents I think another level of skill and technique. I do see him beating Manny however, Pernell's defenses were too ironclad, his poise and presence of mind made him a threat to anyone they put in front of him. I remember that clinic he put on against Julio Cesar Chavez. I see him doing something similar to Manny, but the blatant robbery that took place in the fight with Julio left a very bitter taste in my mouth for years. I've never seen anyone so thoroughly outclassed receive a gift decision like that. Last Saturday came close, but that night against Chavez broke my spirit a little.

It was really sad watching Pernell’s decline, to see him get hit more and until the day came he bore no complexion of his old self.

Comment

they said those things when he was around too.. he wasn't the most popular fighter in his day either.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
                      Pernell Whitaker is one of the finest defensive fighters to ever live. I simply love watching his fights even now; the skill that he displayed was truly a thing of absolute beauty. I remember Larry Merchant saying once, "With hand speed like that, you’d think he should be catching birds." I loved that line.

I see Mayweather beating Pernell however, as skilled as he was, Mayweather represents I think another level of skill and technique. I do see him beating Manny however, Pernell's defenses were too ironclad, his poise and presence of mind made him a threat to anyone they put in front of him. I remember that clinic he put on against Julio Cesar Chavez. I see him doing something similar to Manny, but the blatant robbery that took place in the fight with Julio left a very bitter taste in my mouth for years. I've never seen anyone so thoroughly outclassed receive a gift decision like that. Last Saturday came close, but that night against Chavez broke my spirit a little.

It was really sad watching Pernell’s decline, to see him get hit more and until the day came he bore no complexion of his old self.
                      Excellent post, I agree with everything you said!

Comment

Working...
                      X