Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Martinez been so damn good at 160?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm guessing he found his comfortable weight. and being comfortable brings out the best in everyone.

Comment

I knew he was damn good the first time I saw him fight. If he is better now it might be because he is fighting better fighters and learning from that. I think 154 is his best weight but he is so good he can beat top middleweights. We are talking about 6 pounds of weight and that is not much. A great 154 pounder is usually a great 160 pounder. If two fighters are exactly the same quality then 6 pounds could make the difference between winning and losing. But Martinez, a natural 154 pounder is a much better fighter pfp. than the 160 pounders he has been fighting. Mayweather is only a welterweight but he is favored to beat the top 154 pounders. It's the same thing with Martinez fighting at 160.

Comment

Very good question. But imo he hasn't always looked good. He didn't look great against Macklin or Barker imo. Until late of course!!

Comment

Probably full training camps. He was still working five jobs in Spain in 2008 so when he started fighting on HBO, he got to focus solely on boxing.

Comment

probably because he fight against Barker and Macklin, and not Pirog and Golovkin

Comment

He has a HUGE Athletic Advantage over most of the top fighters at 160 so it has been fairly easy for him because he has yet to fight a fighter who has just as much speed or more so he can get away with a lot when fighting guys like Chavez Jr, Kelly Pavlik, Macklin and Barker...neither is overly fast and neither has great footwork to keep up with someone like Martinez

Comment

Originally posted by nachorjj View Post
                probably because he fight against Barker and Macklin, and not Pirog and Golovkin
                Hell Macklin has fought better fighters then Pirog and Golovkin combined

Comment

No difference, he's just fighting on the big stage now. If anything I'd say he slowed down in the last 2-3 years.

Comment

I say he is a better 154 pounder. He is a natural 154 and a small 160. If he had the same weight naturality against his opponents in 160 he would demolish them faster. I think that can happen in 154 but nobody wants to fight him.

Comment

He has certainly improved a lot in the last 3 or so years.

Comment

Working...
                      X