No announcement yet.

Donald Curry

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Curry

What do you guys think of him as a fighter?
    Donald Curry, at his best, was such an amazing fighter to watch. He had great boxing skills and technical brilliance with power that reminded me of Ricardo Lopez. Such a shame how short his peak was right when he bumped into Lloyd Honeyghan, and then declined so quickly.

In his prime Curry was one of the best defensive fighters that I've seen. His fights with Starling were clinics. Don't know why his prime wasn't longer. THe Honeyghan loss was hard to figure.

Comment

Superb fighter, just stayed too long at WW when struggling making the weight.
      By the time he did move up to light middle he seemed to lose something.
      Maybe he was one of those fighters that needed to remain unbeaten?

Comment

Incredible fighter,his amateur achievements alone are very impressive,as are his two wins over the very underrated Starling

He messed himself up by staying at 147 for so long imo,he was finished after 4 rounds against honeyghan which says it all really,that loss took something from him and so did draining hmself down,he was never the same fighter again

Comment

Curry was a super fighter that looked like he could have been destined to be a legend. The Honeyghan fight finished him. He was looking past that fight and was having trouble making 147. After that loss he was never the same.

Comment

He was one of the most complete fighters ever, but lacked the mental toughness necessary to remain unbeaten. He should never have dissed Honeyghan.

Comment

Don Curry was a class act. His ko of Milton McCrory is one of the most clinical displays of undiluted brutality you'll ever see in a boxing ring.

I remember him coming over to Cardiff to defend his WBA 147 title against Welsh hero Colin Jones, a hard bastard who'd just drawn and lost a SD to McCrory for the WBC title.
              Curry carved Jones's nose in two with a sything right cross in the 4th round.

It's a real shame he lost his momentum, because he was and still is one of the finest boxer/punchers i've ever had the pleasure to watch. After stopping Jones, he was interviewed at ringside and came across as well spoken and very articulate. He'd apparently been brought up in the slums and had been investing in re-educating himself and having elocution lessons. If any fighter ever seemed to be destined for super stardom then Curry was your man. The "Lone Star Cobra" was a pretty apt nickname and to think that even as a two-weight world champ he still underachieved somewhat, is quiet absurd really. But yes, it is quite strange as to why he never fulfilled his true potential.

Comment

Indeed Curry was a phenominal fighter for a short period. The Mike McCallum fight was probably the last we got to see some part of his greatness left in, where he outboxed McCallum (who was undefeated at the time) silly during the first 4 rounds until he got KOd.

Does anyone happen to find any videos of Curry against Starling? I've been wanting to rewatch that fight but can't seem to find any.
                Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X