No announcement yet.

Roach's angle on Khan-Maidana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Rado View Post
    If he were to knock out a fringe contender (rather than an outright bum), which he's more than capable of doing, on the undercard of Khan's next fight, and if the fight is in the States, that would certainly help to build interest in the rivalry and make it into a much bigger fight.
    here in the states its going to take alot more than that to build any kind of interest for a kahn/maidana fight, neither guy is going to be any kind of success overnight. Amir is no prince naz.

Comment

I hope Maidana says NO and the WBA says NO, Who cares about building Khan in america apart from Team Khan!!! Whats that got to do with Maidana who had to fight two different WBA eliminators??? The fight isnt going to be bigger for Maidana that it would right now and if he lets Khan off now he might never get his chance because Khan would be a bigger name by that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray` View Post
        I hope Maidana says NO and the WBA says NO, Who cares about building Khan in america apart from Team Khan!!! Whats that got to do with Maidana who had to fight two different WBA eliminators??? The fight isnt going to be bigger for Maidana that it would right now and if he lets Khan off now he might never get his chance because Khan would be a bigger name by that time.
        Maidana has fought one eliminator (against Ortiz), not two. He's also fought for the title once (against Kotelnik, in which he lost very narrowly). His last fight was against a bum (not an eliminator, just a keep busy fight), and was in Argentina, which was very counter-productive, because it allowed his name to sink below the radar and meant he lost most of the momentum generated by the Ortiz fight - and despite the fact that several contenders were queuing up to fight him last November but he turned them down.

If I were in Maidana's position, I would only accept step-aside money if I was on the under-card of Khan's next fight and if I was given a contractual guarantee that I would fight Khan next (or the winner, in case Khan should lose). That would be exactly the same situation as when Ruiz accepted step-aside money to fight the Haye-Valuev winner, rather than forcing Valuev to fight him straight away - which was a win-win for all three fighters involved.

That said, boxrec is already listing Khan-Maidana as being on for April 17, at Mandalay Bay, so it looks like it will happen next.

Comment

Roach lying as usual. Maidana will never be a draw in the USA no matter what they do. They just want to put off fighting him as long as they can.

Comment

Khan vs. Maidana Deal Announced By The WBA.

I hope all the cynics will give him props now. If they don't then they're just haters.

Comment

But if Maidana accepts step-aside money for a guaranteed date against Khan in his next but one fight, and if he's on the undercard of Khan's next fight, which is what Roach is asking for, then it's not a cynical move at all, it's just a sensible way of building the fight up.

If Khan vacates then I'd agree with you and would call him a ducker and a chicken. But if it pans out like Roach is asking for, I don't see the problem, in fact it seems to me to make a lot of sense.
              Originally posted by 2120 View Post
              your scenario is based on an IF

bottom line is roach does not want khan to get in the ring with miadana and they are willing to vacate to do it

besides that i am not implying anything else. not implying khan is scared or ducking miadana
              The "if" is based on what Roach is asking for in his interview.

Bottom line, you're putting prejudiced speculation ahead of facts. The fact is that Roach said that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he said that he does want Khan to get in the ring with Maidana, directly contradicting the speculation that claims the opposite.

If he vacates in order to avoid Maidana then it will be a clear duck, end of story.

But Roach explicitly says that he does not want Khan to vacate, and he clearly said that he does want Khan to fight Maidana; but he says he wants the fight to be built up first by having them both fight another fighter on the same card in the States first.

I see no reason not to give Roach the benefit of the doubt when he says that, unless and until events proves him to be bull****ting. To assume he's lying at this point is just showing extreme prejudice, IMO.
              Originally posted by 2120 View Post
              either way you slice it roach does not want khan in with miadana right now and prefers a match up with a soft hitting but talented malianggi

thats not prejudice but a fact

khan is gonna have to

a) fight miadana

b) give step aside money

c) vacate the title

d) hopes golden boy offers miadana another fight to keep khan out of his radar.

no prejudice just the fact and if that means khan is ducking miadana then i will let you make that call
              Roach says he wants Khan to fight Maidana and that although he would prefer the fight to be built up first, he does not want Khan to vacate. That's just a fact. Furthermore, GBP is in talks to make the Khan-Maidana fight happen.
              Khan vs. Maidana Deal Announced By The WBA.

I hope all the cynics will give him props now. If they don't then they're just haters.

Roach disagrees with you. He said it's an extremely dangerous fight and that he would rather Khan vacate than to take the fight. That's why Khan left Warren, because Warren would have made the fight.
              Glad to see you finally figured khan out

Comment

same shyt he is doing with pacq. make ur name off washed up fighters and create the illusion that ur some type of world beater. pray that maidana loses in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Sicario View Post
                  I say bull****
                  Boom, Thread/

Comment

I can kinda see Roach's point of having to fight two mandatories in a row... I wouldn't mind seeing Khan-Maliganggi either... That fight would be GREAT... especially since the two obvious dont like each other as well

Comment

Working...
                    X