No announcement yet.

Vazquez-Marquez Part 4 on The Way?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vazquez-Marquez Part 4 on The Way?

The way Gary Shaw sees it, making a fourth fight between Rafael Marquez and Israel Vazquez is nothing short of a no-brainer. They have already fought what is considered one of the greatest trilogies in history - Vazquez has won two of the three brutal and thrilling fights - and doing it a fourth time would be incredible. Rare, too, because a fourth fight tacked on to a terrific trilogy is at best uncommon. Especially in recent times.

"It is, absolutely," said Shaw, "especially for fighters of this caliber and promotions of this magnitude. I don't know of any that went four fights."

Shaw, who promotes Marquez, said Tuesday that he is all for it. Without getting into specifics, he said Showtime has offered the kind of cash seldom seen by 122-pound fighters.

"There is enough money on the table for both fighters to take this fight and it is a fight that will again go down in history and a fight that every fan and every writer is looking forward to," Shaw said.

Shaw said he was concerned that Showtime had given the parties a deadline to make the fight, and that it was not met. Frank Espinoza, who manages Vazquez, admitted Tuesday that he had missed a recent meeting with some of those involved, but that he was hopeful of getting together with Shaw and Showtime executive Ken Hirschman on Saturday at Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif.

There, Vic Darchinyan and Cristian Mijares will square off in a super flyweight title unification fight. Shaw promotes Darchinyan. And Espnioza, of East Los Angeles, will be on hand as a fan.

"It would give me more hope," said Shaw, when asked if meeting with Espinoza could help seal the deal.

The trio of fights began in March 2007 at Home Depot Center. Marquez won that one when Vazquez retired after the seventh round because of a severely damaged nose. Five months later, in August 2007, Vazquez redeemed himself with a sixth-round technical knockout of Marquez in Hidalgo, Texas. Then last March, Vazquez made it two out of three with a split-decision victory.

Espinoza said in the ensuing months that Vazquez would not fight again this year, and he has not. Espinoza also said that when Vazquez did return, he would rather him take an easier fight than go right back into the fire with Marquez. That fourth fight, Espinoza said, would have to come later.

Espinoza said Tuesday that in some ways he would still prefer to go that route, but that he is ready and willing to make that fight for early next year if the money is indeed right. Marquez and Vazquez have put each other through quite a bit, so the pay would definitely have to be on a grand scale.

"Right now, at this particular time, I feel the same way," Espinoza said about a tuneup fight before another fight with Marquez.

"But, definitely, it is something to consider. You have to look at what is out there for Vazquez. There are a lot of opportunities, but this is business and obviously the Vasquez- Marquez fight would be the one that would pay the most.

"I haven't closed the door on this; I never have. I just have said, yes, I would like to get a fight before Marquez. But if the money is right and it makes sense, then I'm always open to negotiations."

There are those in the boxing world who believe that a fourth fight between the two Mexican warriors would almost constitute cruel and unusual punishment because of the vicious nature of the first three. But, as Espinoza pointed out, there is risk in any bout.

"There is always concern about physical health about any fight you could fight," Espinoza said. "It could be an easy fight and you could get hurt."

It will be interesting to see if anything other than a good fight between Darchinyan and Mijares comes out of Home Depot Center.

"I want to go to the fight on Saturday and talk to Shaw or Ken Hirschman," Espinoza
Working...
X