Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ricky Burns - How Good Do You Think He is?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ricky Burns - How Good Do You Think He is?

As impressive as he looked against Mitchell last time out, Ricky still hasn't beaten a top fighter in his prime.

Kev has looked the goods in some bouts but has fallen short both times he stepped up.

Katsidis has a mad punch but he's also lost against the top guys.

Martinez was, in my opinion, his best win. But Martinez is not a 'great' fighter & hasn't beaten anyone that good.

I really want to believe that Ricky can go one for a few years &, at least, reach the level that Froch has but can he?

I'd pick Broner over him but there's no shame in that. I'd pick Broner over all but 2 or 3 fighters under 140.

I'd have Ricky & Miguel Vazquez or Richard Abril an even fight, but I also thought that about Froch v Bute

It's a shame he's with Frank Warren who is an ok promoter domestically but no good if Burns wants to be taken seriously on a world stage.

What do you lot reckon?
    Last edited by taansend; 12-06-2012, 10:11 PM.

Originally posted by taansend View Post
    As impressive as he looked against Mitchell last time out, Ricky still hasn't beaten a top fighter in his prime.

Kev has looked the goods in some bouts but has fallen short both times he stepped up.

Katsidis has a mad punch but he's also lost against the top guys.

Martinez was, in my opinion, his best win. But Martinez is not a 'great' fighter & hasn't beaten anyone that good.

I really want to believe that Ricky can go one for a few years &, at least, reach the level that Froch has but can he?

I'd pick Broner over him but there's no shame in that. I'd pick Broner over all but 2 or 3 fighters under 140.

I'd have Ricky & Miguel Vazquez or Richard Abril an even fight, but I also thought that about Froch v Bute

It's a shame he's with Frank Warren who is an ok promoter domestically but no good if Burns wants to be taken seriously on a world stage.

What do you lot reckon?
    agree with most of this i'd like to see him against broner but it prob wont happen

Comment

He's alright, nothing special.

I class him more top tier european than true world class as his resume is very iffy and he's going down the typical Frank Warren WBO route.

I will eat my hat if he gets put in with Broner, and i will eat my own underwear if he beat Boner

Comment

I actually think he is world class and is the type of guy that the better opponent you put him in with the better he performs.

I dont like Warren and its a shame, Its Burns time now and he should be in the limelight and he isnt, I'd like to see him in with any of the other title holders / challengers, he will give all of them a good fight and maybe even beat the lot.

I like him and wish him all the best.

Comment

He has qualities that are world class but you can't call him that until he has been in with some elite names.

He certainly has an underrated defence. He has a very upright European Style but he is very effective at getting his gloves up and catching and blocking shots. He tucks up well for his height. He has a world class engine and he's an underrated body puncher also. Yes he lacks true KO power but he's developed a bit of a dig as he's gone up so there are he has plenty of qualities that are at the right level.

What he has achieved in the last couple years considering he was a no hoper against Martinez has been pretty good really. It's all about progress for Burns and he's made plenty.

Comment

Until he fights someone who's genuinely world class it's hard to tell.

Is he one of those guys who steps up when he fights the better fighters? Or is he just a top European level fighter who's being protected thanks to Warren?

To be fair when his level of competition has stepped up (Mitchell & Katsidis) he's done extremely well and I picked both to beat him to be fair. Then again even though it was a step up in class I think Burns got them at the right time.

I got Broner beating Burns every day of the week and I'll be surprised if Frank puts that together as he can carve out some nice earners from have Burns beating stiffs up in Glasgow.

At the moment I'm leaning towards he's just a very good European level fighter.

Comment

It's hard to tell how good he is because the Lightweight division is poor at the moment. I don't really know what else to say.

Probably the third best lightweight in the world right now.

Comment

He's definitely not in the European class of a fighter, certified world level. Katsidis & Moses are solid wins at Lightweight and Mitchell is a decent name, who fits the bill of a top European fighter more so than Burns.

Not to mention Burns holds a win over the current WBO super-featherweight champion but his 'reign' at 130 is dulled by such poor opposition.

His next opponent, OCampo, is a joke. On par with the likes of Andreas Evensen and Joseph Laryea - I thought Burns left those ridiculous bouts at SFW. You don't have to beat the man of the division to be considered world class.

Comment

He's a world level fighter, certainly.

Is he one of the true elite, world class fighters? No, but those are pretty rare. He took the belt from an undefeated world champion, has defended it against former world champions and looked good doing so. Unfortunetly though, since winning the belt he's fought more poor opponents than good one's and has another of those poor opponents coming up.

Stay clear of Broner and he can beat the rest at 135...unless Gamboa joins that division later.

Comment

I think he is a good boxer but like all above have said we dont know how good he is yet.He has good handspeed,jab,very good stamina and covers up well when on the robes did this very well against Kats.In regard too his next opponent im not that dissapointed its a late replacement where i was dissapointed was when they chose someone as inexperienced as Walsh when they had the chance to fight someone better.Broner stops him but there is no shame in that Broner beats anyone at LW

Comment

Working...
                    X