Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    I actually like the MMA and their fighters. I wouldn't be making fun of it except for your vicious attack on boxing. Since you make it clear you hate boxing and only visit here to laugh at us you are obviously just looking for a fight with us boxing lovers. I am just giving you the fight you want. There are lots of things wrong with boxing today that I don't like but I still love boxing and always will. Boxing will still be here after you die so get used to it. Why can't you judge the popularity of a sport from how much the athletes get paid? Football and basketball stars make even more ridiculous money than boxers because those sports are so popular in the USA. That money isn't falling out of the sky. It's coming from paying fans of the sport. If boxers are overpaid MMA fighters are surely underpaid for risking their health in such a brutal sport. Greedy promoters like Dana White make most of the money and orders them around like mindless, powerless puppets. I'll bet Mayweather is better known world wide than any tennis star or MMA fighter or soccer player although it can't be proven one way or the other.
    Top soccer players are some of the most internationally well-known athletes on the planet. I don't think you quite understand how far reaching that sport is outside the States.

Comment

Only because of the PED bans.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
        Boxing is ****ing terrible right now.

Porter vs Thurman can't come any sooner.

Watch it end prematurely with a headbutt or something.
        We were saying the exact same things when Bradley-Alexander was looming

Comment

man we have fransico vargas vs orlando solido coming up this week , that very well could be the next gatti ward. Then you got thurman porter and crawford postol this summer. Ward supposed to fight kovelev in november thats a superfight. Only thing thats wrong in boxing is canelo ducking.

Comment

Originally posted by lopetego View Post
            Agree, this era is terrible

The best dont fight the best anymore, everybody wants to make the most $$$ doing the least effort, blatant ducking and cherrypicking is at an all time high, at least among the top fighters.

I blame the current state of affairs on three culprits:

1. Greedy, corrupt alphabet organizations with their miriad trinket belts. Really, whoever came with the idea of the regular, interim, diamond, silver, super, etc belts needs to be hanged

2. Floyd Mayweather - by showing fighters they can get rich by fighting overly defensive snoozefests against hand picked opponents, overinflating the value of the ¨0¨, etc. he chased away the casuals who watch the sport for exciting fights and showed fighters that cowardice is rewarded in this sport, and now everybody's following his bad example

3. Al Haymon - by overprotecting and overpaying his fighters.
            why take risks against decent opposition when you can make as much money fighting the Rod Salkas of the world?

Those are the 3 reasons the sport is at an all time low

honorable mention for the network issues
            GGG is fighting nobodies all the while being paid very well. He's only fought one world champion who had never had a succesful title defense. And no one who is not a hardcore fan of boxing knows who GGG is. So please stop trying to find one guy to blame it on.

Comment

I don't personally like this era of boxing and I think it's in one of it's worst states in modern history.

For a start, I don't like watching the giant boxers who are dominating the heavyweight scene now. We see people like Fury, Joshua and Klitschko who are 6'5+ and it doesn't really give the small guys a chance (this is just my opinion) and I'd like to see some smaller guys kicking ass. I tend to watch >middleweight because I don't find smaller fighters as entertaining unless it's a huge fight or something.

More importantly, it all seems to be about money now. The overhyping of boxers and press conferences is crazy and all the boxers are basically the same. "I think I'm going to win the fight, says some trash talk to the other boxer" and then the fight proceeds.

I'd love to see some new Mike Tyson style fighter. Not some kid who has been raised from royalty like Klischko but someone who has had a terrible upbringing and just wants to kill people and wont shy from a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by motivational View Post
                I don't personally like this era of boxing and I think it's in one of it's worst states in modern history.

For a start, I don't like watching the giant boxers who are dominating the heavyweight scene now. We see people like Fury, Joshua and Klitschko who are 6'5+ and it doesn't really give the small guys a chance (this is just my opinion) and I'd like to see some smaller guys kicking ass. I tend to watch >middleweight because I don't find smaller fighters as entertaining unless it's a huge fight or something.

More importantly, it all seems to be about money now. The overhyping of boxers and press conferences is crazy and all the boxers are basically the same. "I think I'm going to win the fight, says some trash talk to the other boxer" and then the fight proceeds.

I'd love to see some new Mike Tyson style fighter. Not some kid who has been raised from royalty like Klischko but someone who has had a terrible upbringing and just wants to kill people and wont shy from a fight.
                The Klit brothers were not raised from royalty I don't believe haha. They probably have worked harder than most heavyweights post 2000 to get where they are.
                I completely agree though on the big heavyweight thing. They keep taking logic from smaller divisions playbook like fighting extremely conservatively, putting everyone to sleep, all because it's the safest way to ensure victory. (With smaller fighters, it is somewhat accepted because theoretically having a massive pool of boxers fighting at one distinct weight makes it more acutely competitive. Also they are metaphorically subordinates to the big bad heavyweights.) Heavyweights aren't supposed to be the biggest but more the baddest on the planet. It's why you look back to the early 20th century and see 185lb Dempsey, 185lb Marciano, and 200lb Louis running train on anybody at any size fighting at their best weight.
                But now you have these "geniuses" like the Klits who use their size as a strength in the low risk conservative school of thought rather than what they should and are capable of doing condoning a more offensive George Foreman school of thought. The problem is by being an offensive fighter focusing on the knockout you put yourself at a risk that wouldn't be their if you just fought like a p*ssy.
                It's a cancer plaguing boxing and largely the heavyweight division. The large casual base doesn't sit well with a 6'6ft 250lb guy treating the 6'0ft 210lb guy with the respect as if he is Mike Tyson himself. It's a competitive sport, we the people expect the "favorite" to act as such and blow through the smaller guys like a Heavyweight Champion of the World should. The Heavyweight Champion shouldn't be about who's the biggest guy who can fight the most conservative and pull off a W. Valuev is the perfect picture for this theory.
                At least Joshua and Wilder are showing a new future

Comment

Working...
                X