Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name current "Gatekeeper" type fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought gatekeepers where the guys that couldnt even get matches against champs, and would lose or expose every prospect on the rise.

Guys like Judah, Cotto, etc. are still only losing against top level champs, once they start losing to prospects or even other contenders then they start becoming gatekeepers.

Carlos Quintana for example is a true gatekeeper now.

Comment

Jesus sotto karass
      Humberto sotto

Comment

Another guy that just sprung to mind is Grady Brewer.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper Knuckles View Post
          Exactly. Some people on here just hate on the guy due to their own nationalistic beefs, the dude is still a top fighter. A gatekeeper to me is like Mayorga, maybe even Khan. Guys that are entertaining to watch but have an extreme deficiency that stops them from ever truly making their mark on the sport.
          You say that but Khan has very good wins over Judah, Maidana, a faded Barrera, Kotelnik, Malignaggi, (should have one over Peterson IMO). I think Gatekeepers are exactly that a test to see whether you are ready to fight world level guys. Khan has proven he can beat world class fighters. Khan's gatekeeper was probably a faded Barrera because you see the jump in competition -> Barrera -> Kotelnik -> Malignaggi -> Maidana ->Judah -> Peterson&Garcia.

Mayorga isn't a gatekeeper either; how many prospects have used Mayorga as a "gate" to world class fighters? Think about it Cotto, Spinks, Trinidad, Mosley, Oscar were all world class fighters when they beat Mayorga. And he has wins over Forrest, Vargas, Lewis.

An example recently would be Junior Witter a fringe world class fighter who lost to Bradley and Bradley proved he was a world class fighter. Then prospects like Devon Alexander, Frankie Gavin have used him as a "gate" to world class fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by pistol whip View Post
            You people are dumb mentioning pavlik and Cotto they are still Worldclass fighters. This is a gatekeeper! Note the diffrence in skill level people! Edner Cherry!

When a gate is opened it has to lead somewhere. Beating Ended Cherry leads nowhere. He's a journeyman. Cotto is now a gatekeeper. That doesn't mean he is no longer world class in my opinion. It just means he's older and headed out, therefore he's used as a measuring stick for younger prospects looking to enter the world class status.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
              Berto, he is now the clear gate you have get past to get to Floyd.
              he didnt come to mind for me... but now that you mentioned it its true this clown is a gatekeeper and its funny after every fight he talks crap saying big things being done, changes made for the best... looses to ortiz, has trouble with zavek, gets caught using peds, then looses to guerrero hahahahaa

Comment

Here are some real gatekeepers:

Kendall Holt
                Peter Manfredo
                Emmanuel Augustus
                Alfonso Gomez
                Erik Morales
                Chop Chop Corely
                Shane Mosley
                Zab Judah

Comment

Vyacheslav Senchenko, he just happened to back fire on Hatton.

Comment

Derek Chisora.

Comment

Originally posted by boxing is alive View Post
                      Here are some real gatekeepers:

Kendall Holt
                      Peter Manfredo
                      Emmanuel Augustus
                      Alfonso Gomez
                      Erik Morales
                      Chop Chop Corely
                      Shane Mosley
                      Zab Judah
                      I agree with Judah and Holt but the rest are just opponents. Shane is borderline but really needs to give it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X