Question about Big Fight Trainers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Big Fight Trainers

I thought this would be the best place to post this question,,,

Why is it when a big time trainer like freddie roach has 2 guys on the same card for example a manny ppv,, that he never works the corner for the lesser known fighters he has and just stays in the back to warm up manny,,,,

I find this to be completely backwards,,, I always thought that if your training a guy every day in the gym, then you should work the corner and be the one giving advise,, Im sure warming up the main event fighter is important, but i would think being in the corner during the fight is the most important task a trainer has to do,,, Cant they just have an assistant hold the mitts for manny,, I get they could be talking about strategy/gameplan, but by fight night you should have that down pat,,,

So basically what im trying to say is why is it so important for a trainer to warm up the main event guy and not corner other fighters he is training, i would think it would be pretty easy to find someone from camp to hold the pads, wrap hands, etc,,,,

Does that trainer still get the same cut of the money even though he only trained during training camp but not fight night,,,,

I have been involved with amateur boxing and low level pros, and i never noticed that going on there, just wondering about the true top level fights like manny when this happens,, WHY???

My guess is that Freddy feels that Manny (in this case) wants his events to be orchestrated in a certain way. Possiblly the way thimngs were done years ago when the fight card had only Manny as Freddys concerns. Fighters can be very superstitous as to their wardrope and whose allowed with them back stage and other details.
    Also in Freddys case he has 2 or 3 trainers who work with ALL his fighters so in case of sickness or travel the fighters are used to the other trainers and meetings between Roach and his staff are on going throughout their relationships with said fighters.

In my past I would work the corners of all my fighters on a card regardless of the situations. I worked a semi in Italy against Cevoli (Italian champ) with Halstead (Whimpy) and handled the main event with Stecca vs Cruz for the Featherweight Title. During tournys like the Gloves or USA/ABF (national amatuers) I can bring as many as 10 fighters to appear in one night and if theres more than one ring working and I have two who go on at the same time someone is going to the ring with my assistant, thats how it happens. Everyone handles it differently but it really weighs on the main fighters desires or how the trainer feels about the situation. Maybe in the past Futch had other men on the same cards as Freddy and Freddy emulated what Futch did.
    Once a trainer builds his stable up you must have seconds that can be expected to handle corners and understand what each fighter can and can't do. You can't instruct a fighter to do things he doesn't know but the corner better know everything the fighter can do!
    The fighter has a routine that he uses and anyone could implicate it. I think the biggest problem is if the chief corner is involved with a prelim fight and his fighter is injured and needs immediate care does he handle the situation or let his chief second do that so he can work the bigger fight?
    Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      I thought this would be the best place to post this question,,,

Why is it when a big time trainer like freddie roach has 2 guys on the same card for example a manny ppv,, that he never works the corner for the lesser known fighters he has and just stays in the back to warm up manny,,,,

I find this to be completely backwards,,, I always thought that if your training a guy every day in the gym, then you should work the corner and be the one giving advise,, Im sure warming up the main event fighter is important, but i would think being in the corner during the fight is the most important task a trainer has to do,,, Cant they just have an assistant hold the mitts for manny,, I get they could be talking about strategy/gameplan, but by fight night you should have that down pat,,,

So basically what im trying to say is why is it so important for a trainer to warm up the main event guy and not corner other fighters he is training, i would think it would be pretty easy to find someone from camp to hold the pads, wrap hands, etc,,,,

Does that trainer still get the same cut of the money even though he only trained during training camp but not fight night,,,,

I have been involved with amateur boxing and low level pros, and i never noticed that going on there, just wondering about the true top level fights like manny when this happens,, WHY???
      Freddy needs to protect his bank account.

Comment

Working...
      X