Collapse
No announcement yet.

better to master 1 style or be diverse?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better to master 1 style or be diverse?

Do you think its better for a fighter to master 1 style or to be well versed in several? I ask because as a fighter I am often switching up between the Philly shell and just an orthodox traditional style with both hands up. Both seem to have their advantages depending on who i am fighting, but i wonder if i should just try to perfect one. Thoughts?

Obviously more tools, better chances.

One dimensional fighters, once they are "solved", start to lose.

Comment

Being more diverse will give you a longer and more succesful career.

Comment

I think you HAVE to be diverse to be a top fighter. Have a look at the top 20 P4P (obviously opinion) and point out a single one dimensional fighter. You can win a belt these days as a one dimensional fighter but I still don't think you can be called Elite or great without being diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage84 View Post
          I think you HAVE to be diverse to be a top fighter. Have a look at the top 20 P4P (obviously opinion) and point out a single one dimensional fighter. You can win a belt these days as a one dimensional fighter but I still don't think you can be called Elite or great without being diverse.
          I agree, but there are always exceptions to the rule. IMHO, Tyson and Trinidad were pretty one-dimensional and made it to the top. But once people knew how to "solve" them, they started to lose. Both did it because they had power in excess.

To be honest, Trinidad's demise was a combination of being solved + fighting at a weight his power was not as effective.

Comment

Occasional diversity is good but you should try to perfect a style.

Ever notice how many fighters that switch from orthodox to southpaw stance get caught. They become masters of none. They get frustrated and easily abandon a winning plan that just requires time.

the Top fighters for the MOST part perfect one style and use small bits from others just when they call for it.

Comment

Originally posted by .::|ULTIMATE|::. View Post
              Occasional diversity is good but you should try to perfect a style.

Ever notice how many fighters that switch from orthodox to southpaw stance get caught. They become masters of none. They get frustrated and easily abandon a winning plan that just requires time.

the Top fighters for the MOST part perfect one style and use small bits from others just when they call for it.
              Couldn't have put it better myself.

The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" really applies well to boxing. The ability to make adjustments on the fly is one thing, but to really devote time to training both orthodox and southpaw or philly shell and high guard, etc...is really just taking time away from perfecting one thing.

Stand before you walk and walk before you run.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage84 View Post
                erm, pacquiao? excellent at what he does but as one dimensional as anybody.

Comment

im only a young lad but all the fights ive seen of roy jones hes using his reflexes now hes older and not as sharp hes gettin beat. so diverseity is best look at naseem hamed he was good but theres always someone... if naz was more diverse it might of been diffrent

Comment

Look at the P4P fighters today. They have the ability to adjust in a fight. As a fighter you have to have a plan B and C

Comment

Working...
                    X