Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pablo Hernandez vs. Cunningham thoughts.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pablo Hernandez vs. Cunningham thoughts.

Am I the only one here who thought this was way closer than the judges scorecards suggested? Don't get me wrong here, I can understand Hernandez getting the decision, but those scores were to wide. I had Cunningham winning more rounds, but had it scored a draw due to the 2 KD'S. Rounds 6-11 Cunningham was really the only one putting in any work, Hernandez didn't come back on until the 12th. So that "Hernandez erased all doubts article" is highly deceptive in my opinion. Hernandez has serious stamina issues he needs to work on. Alot of Ulli Wegner fighters have this issue Abraham, Huck etc. Every punch they throw they put everything into. I just thought Cunningham put forth the more consistent effective work throughout the 12 round affair. Just my two cents. Also, I'm not much of a fan of either boxer.

It was a decent fight, and Cunningham made a very good account of himself. But in the end, Hernandez was clearly the better man in the ring. The scores were quite wide indeed, I had it 115:112 for Yoan Pablo.

Comment

The right guy won.

That's the bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
        The right guy won.

That's the bottom line.
        /thread............

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
          Am I the only one here who thought this was way closer than the judges scorecards suggested? Don't get me wrong here, I can understand Hernandez getting the decision, but those scores were to wide. I had Cunningham winning more rounds, but had it scored a draw due to the 2 KD'S. Rounds 6-11 Cunningham was really the only one putting in any work, Hernandez didn't come back on until the 12th. So that "Hernandez erased all doubts article" is highly deceptive in my opinion. Hernandez has serious stamina issues he needs to work on. Alot of Ulli Wegner fighters have this issue Abraham, Huck etc. Every punch they throw they put everything into. I just thought Cunningham put forth the more consistent effective work throughout the 12 round affair. Just my two cents. Also, I'm not much of a fan of either boxer.
          I saw the fight just one time (thank you, Phantom5). I didn't keep score, but I thought Hernandez was the clear winner. When you don't keep score it can seem that a fight is closer or wider than your impressions. That being said, it did appear to me that the scores were rather wide.

"Hernandez erasing all doubts" has more to do with the controversy surrounding the first fight, I think. Like most people, I wasn't crazy about the way the first meeting between these two fighters ended. I was very proud of the way Yoan Pablo acquitted himself in the rematch. He clearly defeated a true champion in Cunningham.

You make a sound observation about Hernandez's stamina. I also get the impression that Yoan Pablo gasses early. He needs to bring up his conditioning. Hernandez isn't a monster cruiserweight; but with the proper training, he can be champ for a while. It would be a very good thing for him; they seem to love Yoan Pablo in Germany.

Comment

Like I said, I don't have an issue with Hernandez winning obviously, just saying all this "erased all doubts" stuff, just doesn't truly describe the way the fight went. When I heard everyone talking about it, and reading the articles I was expecting a more complete performance from Hernandez. He looked really flat in alot of the rounds, while Cunningham was doing effective work with the jab and body shots. I just think those two big knockdowns effected peoples view of how the whole affair truly went down, that's really all I'm saying...Not trying to make a big deal out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              I saw the fight just one time (thank you, Phantom5). I didn't keep score, but I thought Hernandez was the clear winner. When you don't keep score it can seem that a fight is closer or wider than your impressions. That being said, it did appear to me that the scores were rather wide.

"Hernandez erasing all doubts" has more to do with the controversy surrounding the first fight, I think. Like most people, I wasn't crazy about the way the first meeting between these two fighters ended. I was very proud of the way Yoan Pablo acquitted himself in the rematch. He clearly defeated a true champion in Cunningham.

You make a sound observation about Hernandez's stamina. I also get the impression that Yoan Pablo gasses early. He needs to bring up his conditioning. Hernandez isn't a monster cruiserweight; but with the proper training, he can be champ for a while. It would be a very good thing for him; they seem to love Yoan Pablo in Germany.
              Good post, thanks for understanding what I was saying. I agree Yoan Pablo could have a bright future. I think he needs a new conditioning coach, and learn to relax and simply put his punches together rather than put everything into every shot. He reminds me of Pascal in ways when it comes to the stamina issues. As for Cuningham, he's getting older. Between aging and inactivity I think it caused him alot of issues against Hernandez, that's what he needs to work on. His management need to keep him active.

Comment

hernandez finished that fight pretty strong, but he did have some poor rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                  Like I said, I don't have an issue with Hernandez winning obviously, just saying all this "erased all doubts" stuff, just doesn't truly describe the way the fight went. When I heard everyone talking about it, and reading the articles I was expecting a more complete performance from Hernandez. He looked really flat in alot of the rounds, while Cunningham was doing effective work with the jab and body shots. I just think those two big knockdowns effected peoples view of how the whole affair truly went down, that's really all I'm saying...Not trying to make a big deal out of it.
                  Steve looked good. He fights more consistently than Hernandez. Yoan Pablo tends to fight in spurts. Like you pointed out, he likes to put a lot into his punches. I'm not saying Cunningham didn't have a high score-rate, but a busy fighter (like Paul Williams) can create the illusion of effectiveness. Hernandez may not throw as many punches, but the judges might've deemed that he landed more.

The knockdowns might affect the way a casual observer views a fight, but the judges are supposed to be scoring as the fight goes along. Those two trips to the canvass cost "USS" a couple of points, no matter how you slice it. I have to say, Cunningham has amazing recuperative powers. How he managed to stay in the battle is beyond me. That's the second time in two fights he's looked like "Bambi" on ice and climbed back into the fray. Steve is a true warrior and champion. Hernandez should be justly proud to have defeated him.

Comment

very good fight and like the above have said the right man won,i thought they should of stopped the fight in round 4 Cunningham got smashed and didnt know where he was,he fell over twice

saying that he showed great heart to get back in the fight and yes he lost by a couple of rounds but he fought in Germany.so you are already two rounds down before the fight start

Comment

Working...
                    X