Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rank Ray Leonard?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny this thread is here now as I've spent the last couple days watching old fights on Youtube (gotta love youtube) of my childhood idol, SRL. How do you really compare fighters of another era? I never watched Robinson and others so even though I'm biased I think SRL is the greatest welter weight of my lifetime. I'm confident he'd beat any of today's fighters. He could do it all. His left jab was outstanding and his killer instinct was very underrated. When he had a guy hurt it was usually over. The only weakness I noticed was that, for a good defensive fighter, he still would get hit more with a right than you'd think.

Comment

On a side note, I was watching SRL vs Armando Muniz when my 11 year old daughter walked in and she asked my why I was watching "Rocky". At that point Muniz with his dark floppy hair kept coming forward, leading with his face and Ray was constantly snapping his head back so it kind of was like Rocky, lol.

Comment

behind robinson and armstrong at welterweight.

Comment

He almost certain to be in the top 3 welters of all time,no doubt!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick6 View Post
            Funny this thread is here now as I've spent the last couple days watching old fights on Youtube (gotta love youtube) of my childhood idol, SRL. How do you really compare fighters of another era? I never watched Robinson and others so even though I'm biased I think SRL is the greatest welter weight of my lifetime. I'm confident he'd beat any of today's fighters. He could do it all. His left jab was outstanding and his killer instinct was very underrated. When he had a guy hurt it was usually over. The only weakness I noticed was that, for a good defensive fighter, he still would get hit more with a right than you'd think.
            Actually the same with me. A good recommendation is The Fabolous Four(Boxing documentary) on youtube. It shows he best rounds of all the fights between these 4 greats. Leonard's greatness just struck me this week. Duran's too btw.

Comment

Great fighter, one of the greatest I've witnessed in my lifetime.

I don't see many beating him at Welterweight especially in a trilogy.

Only person I'd confidentially pick is Robinson.

Top 20 ATG for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Great fighter, one of the greatest I've witnessed in my lifetime.

I don't see many beating him at Welterweight especially in a trilogy.

Only person I'd confidentially pick is Robinson.

Top 20 ATG for sure.

i should have qualified my answer further. i too think robinson beats him, but i think leonard would beat up, maybe even stop armstrong.

Comment

I've thought for a while now that Leonard would just best Robinson. I don't know why.

Comment

Hank was stopped in his first fight, then after a hundred or so he got stopped by Zivic. Then he had about 70 more fights and finished being stopped twice in 181 bouts!!!
                    Watch out Leonard doesn't get stopped!!!

Calculate the scorings of Leonard vs Hearns in their 3 bouts.

I think Tommy actually out boxes Leonard and Tommy was certainly known for dropping bombs bot being agile of foot!

Leonard would be tested severely by;

Robinson
                    Gavilan
                    Basillio
                    Zivic
                    Armstrong
                    Hearns
                    E. Griffith
                    C. Burley
                    J. Napoles
                    F. Trinidad
                    R. Duran
                    ...............theres a few more who give Leonard everything he can handle and more. Leonard wasn't that experienced in the pros and some of the older fellows were very comfortable in the 11-15th rounds. That's were the old greats earned their reputations.
                    I could Leonard getting by Zivic and possibly Griffith and Trinidad doesn't have great experiences to draw from either. However Leonard is in serious with the others, his hand & foot speed can get him by but flashing meaningless combos won't work against the Masters. He would have to stop and fight and that's when he doesn't have the upper hand against someone like Robinson.
                    Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                      i should have qualified my answer further. i too think robinson beats him, but i think leonard would beat up, maybe even stop armstrong.
                      I would pick him over Armstrong too but I reckon it would be a great fight.

Leonard's speed will be the difference but Ray isn't backing down from a fight and Armstrong's going to give him that.

Comment

Working...
                      X