Biggest hypejobs of this decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khan
    JCC jr.
    Berto; if he dont fight a top 5 WW soon!
    Mayweather at WW

Comment

Originally posted by hammerhiem View Post
      Kostya Tzsyu, he was only ranked 3 P4P at the time and had utterly destroyed a highly rated and ranked mitchell 6 month previously.

If it had been BHop doing that he would be pronounced as the next coming of God.

Malinaggi was over rated just like Bradley is now, but if they are the second best in the division then that makes Hatton no1 and if you are so clearly the best in the division you are NOT a hypejob.
      the Tszyu fight was also opportunistic... he was there for the taking, he wasn't built like B-Hop for the record, that man's a freak

what about Hatton's fight with Collazo? one of the 3 worthwhile prime fighters he thought... i had that a draw at best, and closer to a Collazo win than a Hatton win... the man at least deserved a rematch

Bradley isn't great either, but he's a far more dangerous fight for Hatton as he has a very solid chin and packs a bit of a punch... Hatton would still be favourite but it'd be way more dangerous than the Malignaggi fight, and also way more respectable as a win

in all honesty LWW is an incredibly weak division, but Hatton clearly doesn't cut it at WW with the real challenges...

and you never responded to this, and it was the main point in my post:
      Originally posted by S.G. View Post
      now i don't class Hatton as lowly as i do Khan or Fraudley, but his talent to recognition ratio is just as disproportionate as theirs if you get what i mean

Comment

Michael Grant was hyped alot, but never lived up to it.

Comment

now i don't class Hatton as lowly as i do Khan or Fraudley, but his talent to recognition ratio is just as disproportionate as theirs if you get what i mean
          Thats because I agree to an extent, so why would I?

He get massive support because of the intangebles, the fact that people like me can relate to him, I'm his age, I was born probably in the same hospital raised less than 10 miles from him, most of my friends are Ricky Hatton's who never visited a Boxing gym.

The only Difference is I'm a red he's a Blue.

So I understand he's got a fan base way above what his boxing ability should have but he's achieved alot given his boxing ability which is probably short of top 5 P4P prime.

He's probably HoF because of those intangables rather than his Skills in the same was RJJ is probably ATG based on his fights up to HW rather than his showings against limited opposition as MW. (just for the record RJJ's MW makes him HOF so it'#s not like i'm saying they where **** you understand.)

Comment

Rocky Juarez

I almost forgot that hypejob

Comment

Khan, Lacy and Calslappy top the list for me. None of them ever had the potential to beat any top fighter in their prime, lol!

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
              Jeff Lacy
              Khan
              Bautista
              JCC Jr (gets far too much attention considering her only fights bums)
              Yeah, but he is only living off his dad's name though. The attention is not really anything to do with his talent which is why i wouldn;t really say he is a hype job. More of a circus or pantomine act.

Originally posted by lparm View Post
              Vargas never delivered, .
              He beat Winky Wright and Quartey. I thought he had huge potential and was mismanaged by his friend the bum lawyer. Tito had more title fights than nando had fights! The rushing of his career ruined the boy, it ruined him. With experience I believe he would have delivered. A few more Quartey's and Winky's would have got him there. People underestimate the importance of good management.

Comment

Originally posted by JulioCesaChavez View Post
                Khan, Lacy and Calslappy top the list for me. None of them ever had the potential to beat any top fighter in their prime, lol!

Yeah, but he is only living off his dad's name though. The attention is not really anything to do with his talent which is why i wouldn;t really say he is a hype job. More of a circus or pantomine act.

He beat Winky Wright and Quartey. I thought he had huge potential and was mismanaged by his friend the bum lawyer. Tito had more title fights than nando had fights! The rushing of his career ruined the boy, it ruined him. With experience I believe he would have delivered. A few more Quartey's and Winky's would have got him there. People underestimate the importance of good management.
                I agree he was rushed Tito ruined Vargas that's why I said he didn't deliver. If he was moved along slower he might have been the best 154 guy this decade. Winky was robbed btw but the win still looks good for Vargas, and Quartey could be called a hypejob but not in this decade cause he was finished in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuggers1986 View Post
                  You cant have De La Hoya in there.

How the hell can a 6 weight world champion be a hype job?
                  can you name all 6 fighters that he beat for those belts without looking at B*xrec?

The answer is you can't, because most of 'em were handpicked. The road to that 6 weight world champ really wasn't all that difficult.

Comment

Chris Arreola got a spot on HB0'S World Championship Boxing, that's a mark of the hype machine churnin' its wheels.

Comment

Joe Calzaghe hands down if i have to choose only one. The guy has two over 40 years of age has beens as the best he ever fought
                      One of those "has-beens" was fought in between his three most significant wins (Wright, Tarver and Pavlik). He was number 3 p4p. He is showing no signs of slowing down.

I think it's very unfair to classify Hopkins as a "has been" when he seems to be only now reaching his peak ability.

A non undefeated Joe Calzaghe wouldn't have half of the appeal and the p4p ranks seem more like a vanity showcase rather than an indicator of who's the best p4p fighter.
                      According to the Ring there are only two undefeated fighters in their pound for pound top ten, Calzaghe and Calderon.

40 odd fights and he's got less than 10 names that mean anything on his resume. So what if hes never been beat. That's what happens when you spend 10 years fighting B/C level fighters.
                      The same could be said for almost everyone with a comparable number of fights. The problem with this argument is that when the same one is applied to your favourite fighter (for example Roy Jones Junior) you will artificially inflate the achievements of his lesser opponents in order to inflate the significance of the victory. It becomes a silly game that nobody can win.

Hatton's best win? Malignaggi? i know it's too soon to speak down on it and i might get flamed for this, but Malignaggi is just not that good. he got to where he is through his mouth rather than his talent and it showed in the Hatton fight... plus he was a very savvy match-up for Hatton
                      What an absurd argument. Malignaggi was widely regarded as the number two at Jr Welterweight and was the only possible opponent for Hatton. If Hatton had fought Bradley instead then Bradley would be too green and Hatton would be considered to be "ducking" the number two in the division. If Hatton had taken on Witter then not only would he be "ducking" the divisional runner up, he would also be ducking Bradley who is coming off a victory over the ****ter.

what about Hatton's fight with Collazo? one of the 3 worthwhile prime fighters he thought... i had that a draw at best, and closer to a Collazo win than a Hatton win
                      It was a close fight and on my card it was even with the knockdown being the difference awarding Hatton the victory.

The only Difference is I'm a red he's a Blue.
                      We can't all be perfect.

My pick is Paul Williams. Not only do we have that wanker Max Kellerman gushing about him channeling Tommy Hearns, Pernell Whitaker and Julio Caesar Chavez (which was probably fair. Tommy Hearns is very tall, Chavez did body shots and Sweet Pea was well known for blocking punches with his face. WTF!?) but we have a million and one tossers on here that consider him some sort of boxing messiah based on his victories against overmatched and old opponents and a narrow points win over Margarito.

Comment

Working...
                      X