No announcement yet.

Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClellan II

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Julian Jackson vs Gerald McClellan II

Just watched that one for the first time. I had no idea that Julian Jackson ever went down that early but that right hand from McClellan that he ate was right down the pipe. I noticed when Jackson was hurt that he tried to throw a right hand that got caught up in the top rope. I remember being hurt and throwing a right hand that got caught up like that. At the time I didn't know it but I believe that I tore a muscle in my chest/shoulder because of it. I do remember my corner man asking why I wasn't throwing any right hands in the fight. That night, after the adrenaline wore off my shoulder was killing me. To the point of me not being able to roll over in bed. It was crazy. But anyway, McClellan was a master of visciousness in the ring with the skills and power to make any fighter in his division fearfull. Great showing by Gerald McClellan........Rockin'

Very good close fight until the stoppage. McClellan showed an amazing chin in this fight in taking those rights, he also showed sound boxing skills and excellent power.

I thought it was funny how it must have been 20 seconds after those massive low blows he KO'd Jackson.

Comment

Might have to re-watch this one its been a long time,their was a hell of a lot of punching power in the ring that night!

Comment

I often watch that fight, its a cracker, so is the first. I wish i was there for it, the tension and energy in the room must have been immense with punchers like those two about to square off. McClellan might have been the most vicious fighter ive ever seen, i love the clip when he hears he is number ~2 p4p (by someone's ranking anyway) and he simply replies with a cold glare in his eye and a stern tone "who's number one!?" as if he is offended by the very notion that there is a better fighter out there

His left hook to the body was a rib wrecker

Shame his career/life went the way it did (That clown of a cornerman he had should take a lot of the blame) he Should have been one of the GREATS

Anybody watch "The Fight Of Their Lives" the other month? Very sad but excellent piece on Nigel Benn and Gerald

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
          I often watch that fight, its a cracker, so is the first. I wish i was there for it, the tension and energy in the room must have been immense with punchers like those two about to square off. McClellan might have been the most vicious fighter ive ever seen, i love the clip when he hears he is number ~2 p4p (by someone's ranking anyway) and he simply replies with a cold glare in his eye and a stern tone "who's number one!?" as if he is offended by the very notion that there is a better fighter out there

His left hook to the body was a rib wrecker

Shame his career/life went the way it did (That clown of a cornerman he had should take a lot of the blame) he Should have been one of the GREATS

Anybody watch "The Fight Of Their Lives" the other month? Very sad but excellent piece on Nigel Benn and Gerald
          Just realised I was talking about the first one in my above post.

Yeah the documentary was very good and you're right that cornerman was an absolute ****.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
            I wish i was there for it
            whats funny/said is there is hardly anyone in the stands for the fight. Must have been an early fight on the card. Looking at boxrec, here was the rest of the card:

Lennox Lewis vs Tony Tucker
            Julio Cesar Chavez vs Terrence Alli
            Hector Camacho vs Eric Podolak
            Meldrick Taylor vs Henry Hughes
            Oba Carr vs Eriberto Valdez

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
              Just realised I was talking about the first one in my above post.

Yeah the documentary was very good and you're right that cornerman was an absolute ****.
              The stand out part for me (in highlighting the cornerman's ineptness) was when Gerald was wrapping his own hands before the fight and was asked why, his response? "Coz these Idiots dont know how to!"

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post
                whats funny/said is there is hardly anyone in the stands for the fight. Must have been an early fight on the card. Looking at boxrec, here was the rest of the card:

I know, strange right!? Id have gotten there three days before the fight and camped outside for that one!

Easily the most interesting fight on the card...

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS206 View Post

Nope, this was 1994, I remember the card was billed "revenge, rematches" featuring:

Norris-Brown II
                  Nelson-Leija II
                  Chavez-Randall II

It was in the previous year in May where those fights you mentioned took place, anyway Don King always put Julian Jackson in the undercard that's why he never really get so much credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                    Very good close fight until the stoppage. McClellan showed an amazing chin in this fight in taking those rights, he also showed sound boxing skills and excellent power.

I thought it was funny how it must have been 20 seconds after those massive low blows he KO'd Jackson.

the g man claimed to have headaches from that fight onward

it's also one of the last fights he remembers.

Comment

Working...
                    X