Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max Bear one of the best chins of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Bear one of the best chins of all time?

I think bears chin was as solid as they come and gets very underrated

It does get under-rated, you're right. He could take a wallop, in addition to delivering a furious one (I have always felt the fact that Baer isn't a true great of the division has left his own punching power under-rated. It's literally right up there with the best bangers ever, including your Foreman's & Liston's --- he just wasn't as good as they), but the press killed him for a perceived folding of voluntary nature against Louis, & that helped along the idea Baer didn't have a great chin --- he absolutely did.

One of the best of all-time, though? I'd stop short of that.

Comment

max had an incredible chin, and great power too, if he had had greater commitment to the sport and wasn't so into swaning around making movies and stuff he could really have been something. I remember the story of how he ended up being a boxer. He was at some party and a massive big burly dude got drunk and picked a fight with him. Max didn't know what the fu(k was going on but the next thing this big guy threw a haymaker out of nowhere that landed right on his chin. Max just stood there and hardly even flinched while the other party goers looked on open mouthed. Your man came at him again and this time max met him with a haymaker of his own and put the guy flat on his ass. After that everybody told him he should be a boxer lol.
      Also in that Joe Louis fight it should be remembered that Max was in excrutating pain before the fight, both his wrists were fu(ked and he suggested cancelling but Jack Dempsey was with him at the time and told him to man up and get out there. So he went out and tried to put Joe away as quickly as possible because he knew he couldn't take the pain for long. Obviously it didn't work out too well.

Comment

yes it was a very good list all are the best

Comment

Joe Louis supposedly said of Baer, that trying to KO Baer was like trying to knock a brick out of a wall. Even watching the Louis knockout of Baer, it looks like Baer just quit, sitting on the canvas looking at the ref as he was counted out.

Comment

Originally posted by mossimo View Post
            Joe Louis supposedly said of Baer, that trying to KO Baer was like trying to knock a brick out of a wall. Even watching the Louis knockout of Baer, it looks like Baer just quit, sitting on the canvas looking at the ref as he was counted out.
            Wasn't Baer's comment along the lines that the crowd didn't pay enough to see him killed.
            For me that was Louis best performance and bearing that in mind I always think it is a touch unfair that Schmelling's win against Louis is downgraded a little because Louis was "green"

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
              Wasn't Baer's comment along the lines that the crowd didn't pay enough to see him killed.
              For me that was Louis best performance and bearing that in mind I always think it is a touch unfair that Schmelling's win against Louis is downgraded a little because Louis was "green"
              Agreed, Louis was a superb fighting machine a couple of years before he won the title......and the Baer fight really showed off his superb jab and excellent short combinations.

I've got a small section of an interview with Max Schmelling on video, where Schmelling stated that he had seen the Max Baer fight and felt that he had 'a great chance' to beat Louis. When asked if he had seen any weaknesses in 'the Brown Bomber' he replies 'yes, but I wont tell'.

Of course, its common knowledge that Schmelling had noticed that Louis dropped his left hand after jabbing and left himself open to the right counter. Max Baer found a few rights in his fight with Louis. Its a shame Baer fought most of the four rounds pawing with his jab, if he had committed more he might have had a chance at that point too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                Agreed, Louis was a superb fighting machine a couple of years before he won the title......and the Baer fight really showed off his superb jab and excellent short combinations.

I've got a small section of an interview with Max Schmelling on video, where Schmelling stated that he had seen the Max Baer fight and felt that he had 'a great chance' to beat Louis. When asked if he had seen any weaknesses in 'the Brown Bomber' he replies 'yes, but I wont tell'.

Of course, its common knowledge that Schmelling had noticed that Louis dropped his left hand after jabbing and left himself open to the right counter. Max Baer found a few rights in his fight with Louis. Its a shame Baer fought most of the four rounds pawing with his jab, if he had committed more he might have had a chance at that point too.
                And Schmelling put himself in the eye of the storm to exploit that ***** and took a fair few hard shots. Great victory for Schmelling that gets a little downgraded IMO.
                Louis green? I'm not so sure, just think Max rounded off his education

Comment

And Schmelling put himself in the eye of the storm to exploit that ***** and took a fair few hard shots. Great victory for Schmelling that gets a little downgraded IMO.
                  Louis green? I'm not so sure, just think Max rounded off his education
                  The ***** was for chi.nk! Amazing how the most innocuous meant words are censored when you read some of the bile posted.

Comment

The ***** was for chi.nk! Amazing how the most innocuous meant words are censored when you read some of the bile posted.
                    No ****......Some of the posts in NSB can make you think you've accidentally clicked a link to St*rm Fr*nt instead of logging into Boxing Scene :rolleyes9:

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X