Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toney tapped King Mo out by standing guillotine choke in training.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

If it's true, I still pick Randy to whoop his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by KESSLER View Post
        Originally posted by KESSLER View Post
        If it's true, I still pick Randy to whoop his ass.
        As he says though, it's just training. Seriously, it's not a big deal whatsoever.

Also, Couture probably has 10x the sub defense than Lawal as it is. But, yeah it is just training. Subs happen all the time (as Mo correctly says).

Comment

oh and for the record... King Mo would beat Toney's ass too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
            As he says though, it's just training. Seriously, it's not a big deal whatsoever.

Also, Couture probably has 10x the sub defense than Lawal as it is. But, yeah it is just training. Subs happen all the time (as Mo correctly says).
            Yeah, I agree. No big deal.

Comment

Couture is not suspectible to guillotine chokes anyway so it doesn't really matter. It's still crazy though, that Toney could pull off a submission of any kind. Didn't think he had it in him. The fact that he is sparring with Lawal already shows that he's taking it somewhat seriously, more seriously than I thought he would.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                Couture is not suspectible to guillotine chokes anyway so it doesn't really matter. It's still crazy though, that Toney could pull off a submission of any kind. Didn't think he had it in him. The fact that he is sparring with Lawal already shows that he's taking it somewhat seriously, more seriously than I thought he would.
                The guillotine is probably the most basic submission that there is. If he happened to be in the right position, it is not hard to see Toney putting on a guillotine and squeezing enough to get a tap. Again though, it is just training. In a real fight, people are more apt to avoid such positions.

This is slightly reminiscent of Bas Ruten though. Ruten was a pure striker when he started, but was able to adapt a ground game. For Bas, it all stemmed from the guillotine. I posted Bas's career set in the video trading block, with Bas commentating, a while back. He repeatedly says "I had the best guillotine. It was my only submission at that time." Honestly though, if Toney were fighting Japanese pro wrestlers, I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he pulled off a guillotine. Against Randy though, no way in hell.

Comment

The guillotine is probably the most basic submission that there is. If he happened to be in the right position, it is not hard to see Toney putting on a guillotine and squeezing enough to get a tap. Again though, it is just training. In a real fight, people are more apt to avoid such positions.
                  It is, but sparring or not Mo is well aware of the guillotine choke as a MMA fighter, more so than Toney who has acted ignorant about MMA all this time, and in another interview Lawal complimented Toney's strength for being able to pull the submission off. People forget that Toney is far from a natural heavyweight and was in fact at his best at around 168 pounds. Apparently he's quite strong even now but unfortunately he doesn't have the time to adjust to MMA at 40+ years of age. If it was a 25 year old Toney making his debut he may have had some potential with his already polished striking.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                    It is, but sparring or not Mo is well aware of the guillotine choke as a MMA fighter, more so than Toney who has acted ignorant about MMA all this time, and in another interview Lawal complimented Toney's strength for being able to pull the submission off. People forget that Toney is far from a natural heavyweight and was in fact at his best at around 168 pounds. Apparently he's quite strong even now but unfortunately he doesn't have the time to adjust to MMA at 40+ years of age. If it was a 25 year old Toney making his debut he may have had some potential with his already polished striking.
                    You're not telling me anything I don't know.

Comment

You're not telling me anything I don't know.
                      ^^

That's not suppose to be a knock on you, just saying I considered such things.

Comment

Working...
                      X