No announcement yet.

It's Time to Admit That The Lineal Champ System Does Not Work in Today's Era

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
    While I agree with you re. Fonfara, wasn't Cloud his first defense? then mandatory against Bellew, then Fonfara and now Sukhotsky.
    Suklotski is the first not-a-legit top ten guy Stevenson has faced in his reign. After this, he should be shamed into fighting Kovalev. Modern sports fans have a LOT of impatience on this stuff too. Not saying that's bad and the evidence from the Haymon side is that the duck is likely to continue.

Comment

Kovalev should fight Fonfara or Pascal, to pressure Stevenson even more into a fight with him.

If he beats Stevenson's friend in Pascal, that'll get his attention, and ruin the plans for a Stevenson-Pascal superfight in Montreal. If he stops Fonfara, he'll have beaten him more impressively than Stevenson did.
      Last edited by VG_Addict; 11-09-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Perfect example...

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
          Especially when the recognized champion doesn't fight the #1 contender. Adonis Stevenson hasn't beaten anyone of relevance since beating Chad Dawson and will babysit the lineal champ label while ducking Kovalev. He literally ran to another network to avoid the fight.

Respect to Cotto for stepping up and beating Martinez but Martinez vs GGG was long overdue. GGG is clearly the best MW in the world right now.

When the best fighter in the division is not the recognized champion that is a sign that the system does not work.
          So we should change it solely because of one fighter? You new generation of boxing fans just suck that's all it is y'all don't appreciate ****. What happened to contenders in the top 15 being respected. Now days its a shame for a top 5 fighter to fight someone in top 10 or 15. If it ain't No. 1 vs No. 2 yall complain. Boxing fans just some the worst fans in sports yall claim everyone is scared when the popular matchup don't get made. 80% of you dogged Garcia out called him every name in the book sent him threats on twitter just because y'all thought he was scared of LM. Then after the fight instead of appreciating the fight y'all all complained for rematch. Boxing fans are so dumb. Just because the fight hasn't happened don't mean it's not going to happen. When Stevenson-Kovalev do happen y'all not gone to appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
            Blame the casual fans I guess. If they were not supporting the weak matchups, the bigger payday would for champions to fight the number 1 contender. Example, if we all refuse to watch Mayweather's next fight unless it's against Pacquiao or vice versa, there is a higher chance they would make that fight happen. But just like politics, it is hard to get the masses to see what is in their best interest.
            Why don't we star with the Pacquiao fight? He's fighting a guy that still lives with his mother.

Comment

The Lineal system was always somewhat flawed.

Part of the justification for the alphabet organisations being set up was the simple fact that the 'man who beat the man' system was open to abuse.

Comment

it's also the same with floyd.

wont fight the #2 pacquiao, didn't fight and beat the #2 bradley at the time either.

fights the #8 ranked ww twice and before that fought a 154lber. guerrero sucked.
                Last edited by Divine Hammer; 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                  It never was really. It's better when it is, but this sort of duck has gone on many times. That's why Adonis should be SHAMED by every fan and media until the fight happens
                  Adonis is a convicted pimp though, I'm not sure the shame thing is really going to work on him.

Comment

Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
                    So we should change it solely because of one fighter?
                    He gave more than one example.

Stevenson - Kovalev
                    Cotto - Golovkin
                    Mayweather - Pacquiao

I'm sure there are probably more, Huck-Hernandez?

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                      He gave more than one example.

Stevenson - Kovalev
                      Cotto - Golovkin
                      Mayweather - Pacquiao

I'm sure there are probably more, Huck-Hernandez?
                      Mayweather, Pacquiao? Did Pacquiao ever avenge the savage knockout JMM laid on him? How Pacquiao belongs in any lineal conversation is beyond me comprehension?

Comment

Working...
                      X