Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Canelo Alvarez earned the right to pick n choose fights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES, what validates a fighters earning potential and their authority in choosing opponents is not always dictated by the strength of their opposition, we all should know that by now... with that said, this young man has had some good showing and I don’t believe all his opponents have necessarily been easy pickings… I may be wrong but golden boy promotions picked him up after he had been taking some good fights with game fighters, after GBP got him it may be said that he was better cared for but I consider Cintron, Gomez, and Mosley risks….

Comment

Canelo and every other fighter have the right to fight whoever they want to fight if the fighter they want to fight agrees to fight them.Will it make fight fans angry? Yes. Is there anything fight fans can do about it except not pay to watch it? No.Canelo said very clearly he wanted to fight either Cotto, Mayweather or Martinez on May 4th. He also said he would not fight Trout if Trout defeated Cotto. Snce Martinez already has a fight and Mayweather apparently wants to fight in February it seems likely that Canelo will fight Cotto on May 4th if Cotto agrees to the fight. Some fight fans are angry about this because Trout earned the right to fight Canelo by beating Cotto. Canelo will probably make more than twice as much money fighting Cotto as he would for fighting Trout. Some fans will curse him but he will be smiling when he cashes his check. Mayweather is the WBA 154 lb. super champ and Trout is the WBA 154 regular champ so Trout has also earned a shot at Mayweather in February. What are the chances of that happening? Canelo is one of the biggest moneymakers in boxing and that gives him lots of power in picking his opponents. The Guy that just KOed Hatton earned a rematch with Paulie.Will he get that rematch? Boxing is much more about making money than it is about deserving fights. That's just the way it is.

Comment

i really dont know about canelo anymore. calls out the superstars but wouldn't fight his way through it so he'll even be more credible. GBP is actually doing more harm than good to his career. if they truly believe canelo is something and the next big thing then put him in there and have faith in him.

Comment

Yes... Sorry but he's not vanes or lara and actually has something called fans... He has a whole country behind him, I always laugh at comments on this forum of the people trying to be like promoters

Comment

Everyone is in this sport to make money....

/thread

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
              No

He is the most protected fighter in the sport

His last fight was against Josiseto lopez for crying out loud

GBP is being extra careful matching him up after they failed horribly trying to turn Ortiz into a cashcow
              Wow, I actually agree with Check_hooks. Did somebody with some sense hack his account?

Comment

No, he has not. No fighter should be allowed to pick and choose who they fight, especially not this dude. Imagine if the Superbowl had the number 1 team choosing who they played for a championship.
                Last edited by Null; 12-05-2012, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EDD1 View Post
                  YES, what validates a fighters earning potential and their authority in choosing opponents is not always dictated by the strength of their opposition, we all should know that by now... with that said, this young man has had some good showing and I don’t believe all his opponents have necessarily been easy pickings… I may be wrong but golden boy promotions picked him up after he had been taking some good fights with game fighters, after GBP got him it may be said that he was better cared for but I consider Cintron, Gomez, and Mosley risks….
                  surely you jest

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
                    Wow, I actually agree with Check_hooks. Did somebody with some sense hack his account?
                    It's not that the pinoy nationalist has any sense,he just doesn't like Mexican boxers.

Comment

Easily yes. I find it funny Floyd fanatics are quick to say no when they're the ones with all the answers to business sense 101.

Comment

Working...
                      X