Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How highly do you value a good amateur background?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How highly do you value a good amateur background?

Many fightera have had bad amateur records and still became world campions like Johnny Nelson while other guys have had good amateur pedigree but failed to make it for example Audley Harrison. And then you have the GGG, Rigi and Lomachenko who have ridiculous amateur backgrounds and have become world champions. So how much does an amateur history tell you about a fighter and his skills?

Fun Fact: My boy Matthysse had an amateur record of 72-8-2

Most champions and great fighters had extensive amateur backgrounds that should answer your question

Comment

Johnny had like a 3-8 amateur record or something and finished 45-12-1 (29-1 KO) with about 13 cruiserweight title defences. Crazy career fighting in the UK, Denmark, Germany, Brazil, Thailand (in front of thousands), Virginia, Las Vegas, France, South Africa, Australia, Belgium, New Zealand and Italy.

Incredible career if you ask me despite having no credentials coming into the pros. That's the Ingle Systems for you I guess.. and probably goes to show just how much a guy like Johnny wanted 'it'. He certainly didn't seem to want it enough in his youth and in the youth of his career.

Comment

Great pro fighters with really bad amateur records are the exception not the rule. GGG Lomachenko aint even tip of the Iceberg. The two guys going at it on may 2nd Manny had like 60-3 or 4 record and Floyd was an Olympic medalist. Nuff said.

Comment

The best fighter in almost all the weight class has an olympic medal.

HW. Klitschko - Gold medalist
          CW. Usyk - Gold Medalist
          SMW. Ward - Gold Medalist
          MW. Golivkin - Silver Medalistist
          JMW. Mayweather - Bronze Medalist
          WW. Mayweather - Bronze Medalist
          SFW. Gamboa - Gold Medalist
          FW. Lomachenko - 2x Gold Medalist
          SBW. Rigondeaux 2x Gold Medalist

Comment

Your most likely to be successful if you have a good amateur record

Comment