No announcement yet.

mke spinks hw career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mke spinks hw career

what do you think of his accomplishments dethroning unbeaten Holmes, knocking out Cooney and of course the immense pay day with iron mike

I would say he did an excellent job..

He beat an atg undefeated champ, got paid in the Cooney, and then became filthy rich vs Tyson.. Overall going 3-1 and making tens of millions... A lot better run than bob foster, Roy jones or James toney had at heavy.. Probably only Archie Moore, ezzard and Tunney can compare

Comment

he did a great job and yeah he lost to mike but if anybody can name a former light heavyweight titliest that would have beaten mike that day I'd be impressed

Comment

Still a bigger accomplishment than the paper champions of the 80s, fought Holmes, Tangstad, Cooney and Tyson. I wish Spinks didn't go out with a one-round KO loss, and fight someone like Tim Witherspoon before retiring.

Comment

Incredible fighter. Would have put him in against any lightheavy and quite few heavy weights.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            what do you think of his accomplishments dethroning unbeaten Holmes, knocking out Cooney and of course the immense pay day with iron mike
            The Holmes fight was a tremendous accomplishment.Cooney was good, but considering the fact that he never really developed as a fighter, not as impressive to me as the first Holmes fight.I was rooting for him to beat Mike, but in retrospect, Mike was too much for him.Always felt that Michael avoided Tony Tucker because he knew Tucker could beat him.Overall, Michael did pretty damn good.

Comment

The fights with Holmes were a rip off to me. The powers to be had their chance to shut Holmes up and they did. I know Larry didn't look good but I thought he won both fights while not performing well! Mike benefited from Holmes being heavily disliked stemming from his comments about Marciano.
              As for him beating Cooney 5 years had gone by since the Holmes defeat and Cooney was looking for a big date with Foreman he was offered a good date with Spinks and thought he could dominate the smaller guy, **** happens!
              He still got the Foreman date and that didn't go well either. I personally think Cooney continued after Holmes with not much desire left. He actually did ok when you think about his looses were all to quality opponents. He had some good tests as his career grew and past his early exams nicely.
              No surprise against Tyson, we knew Mike would come out fast because Spinks was traditionally a slow set up. Mike did what Spinks did in the Cooney fight, caught him lapsed and ended it! Spinks could punch, at light heavy he was one of the best ever and had power to spare.
              Ray.
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 11-13-2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I agree with your statements about the holmes fights Larry made a brain fart statement about the Rock and almost needed a ko to beat spinks. Larry may have beaten the rocks record but I think he would have continued to fight at an advanced age and would have a few losses on his record.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  The fights with Holmes were a rip off to me. The powers to be had their chance to shut Holmes up and they did. I know Larry didn't look good but I thought he won both fights while not performing well! Mike benefited from Holmes being heavily disliked stemming from his comments about Marciano.
                  As for him beating Cooney 5 years had gone by since the Holmes defeat and Cooney was looking for a big date with Foreman he was offered a good date with Spinks and thought he could dominate the smaller guy, **** happens!
                  He still got the Foreman date and that didn't go well either. I personally think Cooney continued after Holmes with not much desire left. He actually did ok when you think about his looses were all to quality opponents. He had some good tests as his career grew and past his early exams nicely.
                  No surprise against Tyson, we knew Mike would come out fast because Spinks was traditionally a slow set up. Mike did what Spinks did in the Cooney fight, caught him lapsed and ended it! Spinks could punch, at light heavy he was one of the best ever and had power to spare.
                  Ray.
                  I never saw an opponent look so spooked as Spinks against Tyson. Spinks looked beat before the bell.

Comment

Working...
                  X