No announcement yet.

Headgear banned from AIBA etc...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    I guess I am thinking more for kids because thats my focus. Also the idea of pros fighting in the olympics pisses me off
    Refer to my Las comment where I touch on what you said.... The thing is, the headgear is actually more dangerous for kids than it it adults/teenagers...

Yes pros fighting in the olympics is an absolute joke, I 100% agree with that

Comment

My experience with headgear is that it made my head a bigger target, making me take more concussive impacts to the head. Punches that would have normally been slipped, or that would have glanced off, ended up catching the head gear and rattling my skull.

Compounding the problem is the reduced vision. You will take more punches because of it, which again brings about the issue of concussive impacts to the brain. The reason the padding doesn't do much is because your brain is hurt when it slams into the wall of the skull. That happens whether the skull has a dense foam over it or not. The reason a motorcycle helmet works because it keeps the skull from cracking open on the pavement. When you have a padded glove hitting the head, another layer of padding isn't going to do much to reduce the movement of the skull, which is what is hurting the brain. Taking fewer punches is ultimately the better answer and that's why it's better to be without headgear.

The nose is still exposed in most types and black eyes still happen so the mitigation of scrapes is marginal and scrapes are far less worrysome than brain damage.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
        I write an assignment mentioning this In collage, the assignment was about dementia pugilistic and I came across a few things, I can send you some sources in a few days if you would like, but you could just as easily find it with a quick google...
        But I would suggest to you to watch the documentary "after the last round"
        It is not just about dementia and they also discuss how headgear should not be I the amateurs ( this was before they got rid of the headgear) and how in fact it causes more damage to kids,as they have smaller muscles in their neck, so when when they take a punch,the headgear restricts the natural movement of the brain when taking a punch,add to that the added weight on their head and the pressure it causes........

Getting rid of the headgear does not cause more KOs or anything like that, the only difference is you get a lil bit more cut up, but you don't have to deal with the added pressure (weight) on your head.......
        Their are plenty of sources online, ,and studies and statistics to back up the need to get rid of headgear... Like i said have a look at "after the last round" youl find it on youtube, its a great documentary on the effects of boxing that I think anyone who wants to box should watch before they start to know what they are getting into
        Great response.

I have been recommended "After the last round" previously, now I will definitely hunt it down and give a watch.

Very interesting theories.

The topic of headgear has been interesting to me for a while - I'm a big proponent of taking helmets away in football for example. Head trauma is so prominent from players recklessly leading with their head - simply because they have a helmet so they think they can. Take away the weapon on their head and I believe you'd see a reduction in the tragic, debilitating physical trauma resulting.

At least players would learn to tackle properly.

Comment

head gears do not prevent concussions. They make your head heavier, which decreases the ability for head movement. They restrict vision and they make the head an easier/bigger target.

Comment

Not sure why no one has pointed out that this is really old news

Pretty sure AIBA did away with headgear in 2013?

Comment

Working...
            X