Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones Jr.: Still pissed about Olympics; reason why he didn't go to Europe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Jones Jr.: Still pissed about Olympics; reason why he didn't go to Europe

Roy still pissed about being ripped off in the Olympics and used this as his reason not to go overseas:

"Asked, however, why the fight didn't appeal to him when he had the title, Jones grew noticeably defensive. "It appealed to me then," he said. "I already got robbed in Seoul (in the 1988 Olympics). For me, that was God. If I had gone there (Wales) and lost a close decision, that would've been stupid by me. Why? I was the man. I need to be fighting him now because he's the man. There's a difference between being smart and stupid."

http://www.*********.com/jonescal1168.htm

So is it reason enough?

And what about Jones's reasoning that You Go To The Man?

They should have asked Calzaghe by the way. Roy was the 175 Champion and Calzaghe was the 168 Champion. Fighters tend to move up, not down when challenging for big fights.

Well remember when Calz beat Hopkins Jones said he was willing to go to Wales and fight the champ there, but HBO interfered and said in order for thier to be on HBO PPV and to have a 24/7 it must be in the states. And plus theres a rematch clause in the contract so if Jones wins don't be surprised if the rematch is held in Wales or somewhere else overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Leonard View Post
      Roy still pissed about being ripped off in the Olympics and used this as his reason not to go overseas:

"Asked, however, why the fight didn't appeal to him when he had the title, Jones grew noticeably defensive. "It appealed to me then," he said. "I already got robbed in Seoul (in the 1988 Olympics). For me, that was God. If I had gone there (Wales) and lost a close decision, that would've been stupid by me. Why? I was the man. I need to be fighting him now because he's the man. There's a difference between being smart and stupid."

http://www.*********.com/jonescal1168.htm

So is it reason enough?

And what about Jones's reasoning that You Go To The Man?

They should have asked Calzaghe by the way. Roy was the 175 Champion and Calzaghe was the 168 Champion. Fighters tend to move up, not down when challenging for big fights.
      yeah, fighting in the UK is an automatic loss.

rjj is correct, you go to the man, the man doesn't go to the challenger.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullcounter View Post
        yeah, fighting in the UK is an automatic loss.

rjj is correct, you go to the man, the man doesn't go to the challenger.
        Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Mike McCallum, Marvin Hagler, Jerry Quarry, Floyd Patterson, Don Curry, Azumah Nelson and Alexis Arguello all felt confident enough in their ability to fight in the UK, and all left with wins.

Comment

Working...
        X