No announcement yet.

Who is the Fighter of the Year so far?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
    It was a delayed reaction... I know you wont admit it though because you're a Bradley fan.
    IT could have been, but it was still not enough to stop the fight even if imo

Comment

It was a delayed reaction... I know you wont admit it though because you're a Bradley fan.
      Let's say that it was a delayed reaction. Do you really believe the referee should have deprived Bradley of the chance to fight on, knowing what we now know in hindsight?

I'm not asking whether you would have made the call to stop the fight if you were that ref (it sounds like you would) but rather, knowing what we now know about how that fight went out, do you still think it should have been stopped in the first round anyway?

Comment

your bias blinds you

He knocked Bradley down in the first round (according to every single person with a brain) and Bradley fell over when he was trying to get up which is grounds for a TKO
        Oh, the irony

Comment

Also the irony that you believe the Bradley fight should have been stopped in the first, but you'd defend to your death that the Marquez/Pac I fight shouldn't if it ever did

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
            Here are the guys I think have strong arguments for Fighter of the Year so far:

Tim Bradley: Fought a Fight of the Year type fight against Ruslan Provodnikov, showing incredible heart to fight through a concussion and come out victorious. Then when a lot of people thought he might be damaged goods, he cleanly and clearly outboxed a top-3 pound for pound fighter in Juan Manuel Marquez. I've been big on Tim for a while now and his win over Marquez has earned him my vote.

Danny Garcia: Took on Zab Judah in a fight that would set up the opponent for the Matthysse-Peterson winner. The tough veteran gave Garcia a test but Swift came through. Then he took on Matthysse when a lot of people thought he wouldn't and put some great work on him. Danny has cleared out his division and is at least a back-end p4p fighter now.

Mike Alvarado: His year is not yet set in stone, but he already avenged his only loss against Brandon Rios earlier this year in a fight where he was considered the underdog. If he beats Ruslan Provodnikov in a great fight, he'll have as strong of a case as anyone else imo, especially if the Provodnikov fight is another wild war.

Gennady Golovkin: I think his case is a little weaker than the other fighters on here, but he'll also have the distinction of fighting 4 times this year by the time his Stevens fight is over. Rosado, Ishida, Macklin and Stevens may not be world-beaters held in the esteem of a Matthysse or Marquez, but the way Golovkin has dispatched the first three of them deserves consideration.

Guillermo Rigondeaux: He's only fought once this year, but his win was a big one. I think a lot of people expected Donaire-Rigondeaux to be a pick-'em type fight, instead of the one-sided clinic it turned out to be. A win over Agbeko in December would help pad out the Cuban's activity for the year and put him in Fighter of the Year contention.

Adonis Stevenson: Two big knockouts this year over Bad Chad Dawson and Tavoris Cloud have sealed his place as the light heavyweight champion of the world, and he's not done yet, with a fight against Tony Bellew coming up before the end of the year. This accomplishment would have been a lot more impressive a year ago but it's still worthy of consideration.

Did I forget anybody? Please vote and discuss!
            Nice summary. With a few months left in the year, I'm leaning towards Danny Garcia. He was such an underdog against Matthyse and won with flying colors. I'll admit I damn sure wasn't betting on him that night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
              Let's say that it was a delayed reaction. Do you really believe the referee should have deprived Bradley of the chance to fight on, knowing what we now know in hindsight?

I'm not asking whether you would have made the call to stop the fight if you were that ref (it sounds like you would) but rather, knowing what we now know about how that fight went out, do you still think it should have been stopped in the first round anyway?
              absolutely not, I'm glad he didn't stop the fight. It was a FOTY candidate and Bradley gained alot of respect that night. That round where he was out on his feet but kept swinging was one of the best in recent memory

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Also the irony that you believe the Bradley fight should have been stopped in the first, but you'd defend to your death that the Marquez/Pac I fight shouldn't if it ever did
              Marquez was still fighting back in the first round, he was hurt but he wasn't out on his feet like Bradley. Second, falling over twice is different than getting knocked down 3 times. In most cases falling over after trying to get up gets you an automatic TKO.

Comment

Originally posted by OhNoes View Post
                Nice summary. With a few months left in the year, I'm leaning towards Danny Garcia. He was such an underdog against Matthyse and won with flying colors. I'll admit I damn sure wasn't betting on him that night.
                Yeah I also wasn't betting on him that night. I knew that it would be a pick-'em fight and a lot of people were under-writing Garcia's boxing skills, especially his movement, along with his chin. I guess I went with Matthysse at the time because I wanted to believe in him as another developing Pacquaio. As the fight unfolded though, and especially by the third or fourth round, it was pretty clear to me that Lucas wasn't going to put Garcia out like he did Peterson. It was a great night for Danny and it definitely won me over on him. I won't be betting against him anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Money Team. View Post
                  Where is floyds name??? He won 2 ring titles this year and sold 3 million ppv..he will win it hands down
                  Robert guerrero isnt very good, so no larry. It doesnt surprise me that you've gone for a big fat slurp of floyd's ringpiece though......you crack me up!

Comment

Have to ride with Bradley or Danny..I can't think of a fighter who's had better yrs then either one of them..

Comment

Right now I'd say Bradley or Rigondeaux. If Rigondeaux looks great against Agbeko I'm definitely rolling with him.

Comment

Working...
                      X