Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sparred for the first time yesterday.......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparred for the first time yesterday.......

If you look back and check the threads I've created in the Training & Nutrition section you can follow my stead progress but I finally sparred yesterday. I sparred with my trainers assistant who was a former boxer in the soviet union but he's currently 48 years old. Anyway my question is this...........I'm a southpaw he was stepping on my front foot (which in my case would be my right foot) all the time, is this a tactic orthdox fighters use against southpaws or do i have to position my front foot more outside his body.??????????????

by the way considering he is an old time boxer I gave a good 4 round sparring session...................but he's 48..................i'm 22 so i have a long way to go.............

Comment

Hes probably not used to sparring southpaws is all. From his perspective youve got the wrong foot forward.

Comment

I'm also a southpaw. Getting your right foot stepped on and getting headbutts are somethings you might want to get used to. As southpaws, we have another fight going on, the foot fight. Try to always have your right foot outside of his left foot.

Comment

If you watch Cotto v Judah Cotto steps over Zab's lead foot throughout the whole fight. Everytime he steps forward like this he's launching the jab off of it, setting himself up on the inside. It's an effective tactic against southpaws because it limits movement towards their left (not that they should be moving left too much anyways to stay away from your right hand). This is useful to keep in mind when you want to close off the ring against a lefty. Also pretty obvious but worth noting that if they can only really move effectively to their right (or backwards) then fire the left hook off the jab.

Of course that's probably not going to help you too much because you're the lefty :P but hopefully it'll help you understand why he'd be stepping on your foot. I'm orthodox so I don't know what you could do to counteract that movement besides retreating or moving to the right (slipping/parrying the jab) and throwing the right jab/hook.

Comment

For the stepping on the foot thing it most likely wasn't intentional, but it could be. When a southpaw is fighting an orthodox fighter he wants to have his right food outside of his opponents left food, the inverse works too. So if both fighters want to have their foot on the outside, there is going to be some stepping on toes happening.

So yeah, try to get your right foot on the outside of his left foot to be able to land your straight left.

Comment

yeah I think I have to focus on my footwork and try to get my right foot outside the opponents left foot............by the wat I dont how many of you are southpaws but this is easier said than done.....

Comment

Working...
              X