Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighter of the year and fight of the year so far?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right now. I got Crawford in the lead for fighter of the year.

Canelo or Froch can be in the running if Canelo fights Kirkland and knocks him out or it can go to Froch if he fights Chavez Jr and knocks him out.

Fight of the year I would have to say Crawford vs Gamboa.

Comment

Fight Of The Year is Francisco Rodriguez Jr. vs. Katsunari Takayama, a fight that I suspect 90% of the posters on here haven't seen.

Fighter Of The Year so far in my opinion is between Terence Crawford, Francisco Rodriguez Jr., and Canelo.

Crawford's case: He hit the road and took the W.B.O. Lightweight title from Ricky Burns in March, and followed that up with a great knockout performance against Yuriorkis Gamboa in June. If Crawford stops Beltran in his next fight then I think he's a lock for Fighter Of The Year. If he doesn't stop Beltran then that leaves the opportunity for someone else to come swoop up the Fighter Of The Year honors.

Rodriguez Jr.'s case: He stopped the undefeated Merlito Sabillo to win the W.B.O. Minimumweight title in March, then followed that up with a Fight Of The Year candidate in an I.B.F./W.B.O. unification win over Katsunari Takayama in August. If he can follow up with another title unification win over Oswaldo Novoa or Hekkie Budler then he definitely deserves Fighter Of The Year. And he just turned 21 years old in July. I think it's a long shot he wins it because of the weight division he fights in though. And he has some stiff competition in Crawford and Canelo.

Canelo's case: He destroyed the always solid Angulo in March, and followed that up with a solid performance against the best 154 pounder other than himself in Lara. If Canelo has a shot at Fighter Of The Year he needs to DESTROY James Kirkland in December. Canelo might get some extra love from the voters for fighting Trout, Mayweather, Angulo, Lara, and Kirkland (If he fights and beats him) in his last 5 fights, which is as tough as it gets. And he also might get some extra credit from the voters for a potential Cotto fight next May.

Comment

Crawford too for me, he's been getting it done.

If Porter beats Brook in spectacular fashion then he's also a worthy candidate.

Comment

This is going to be another year where the fighter wins because of one great win and one or two okayish wins, which sucks. It makes it difficult to differentiate and there's no standout. As I've noted before, I also hate it when a fighter wins because of fights I'll probably never remember. There hasn't been anyone really worth giving it to since Pacquiao 2009 and Martinez 2010. Not just because who they beat, but how they did it.

Maybe Craword, but ehh...It was a great fight, but it was an inactive lightweight Gamboa, and not the Gamboa we loved from featherweigh. Ricky Burns was another impressive win because of the manner in which he did it by taking Burn's title in his hometown, but Ricky Burns was never really that good. Beltran is going be a solid win, and that's it.

It's going to come down to who has the best single win again. I'll go for Hopkins/Kovalev winner.

Or Campillo when he beats Stevenson.
          Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 08-14-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Crawford could very well lose to Beltran at lightweight.

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              This is going to be another year where the fighter wins because of one great win and one or two okayish wins, which sucks. It makes it difficult to differentiate and there's no standout. As I've noted before, I also hate it when a fighter wins because of fights I'll probably never remember. There hasn't been anyone really worth giving it to since Pacquiao 2009 and Martinez 2010. Not just because who they beat, but how they did it.

Maybe Craword, but ehh...It was a great fight, but it was an inactive lightweight Gamboa, and not the Gamboa we loved from featherweigh. Ricky Burns was another impressive win because of the manner in which he did it by taking Burn's title in his hometown, but Ricky Burns was never really that good. Beltran is going be a solid win, and that's it.

I'll go for Hopkins/Kovalev winner.

Or Campillo when he beats Stevenson.
              You'd give it to Kovalev for beating a 50 year old man?

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
                You'd give it to Kovalev for beating a 50 year old man?
                Hopkins is an alien doe.

Okay, I'll only give it to him if he knocks out Hopkins. That would be super impressive.

Comment

Canelo easy....

Comment

I dont think anyone deserves fighter of the year...I havent seen many fighters step up and take out anyone big. Everyone is fighting Lames. EVERYONE!

FOTY

Meza Clay - Herrera

Comment

If Hopkins beats Kovalev it's him.

It's unpopular, and I don't necessarily agree with it...but taking into account the perception of the media (the people who vote for this), I think Cotto is prob the leader in the clubhouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X