No announcement yet.

Dempsey and the Long Count

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dempsey and the Long Count

Assuming that Tunney actually needed the time (was it 13 seconds I think?), how would your ranking of Dempsey differ if he had KOed Tunney in their second meeting? How would Tunney's rating be affected?

I think it would have put him up a notch or two in the atg ratings.
    By dropping gene jack proved he still had the power,stamina, heart and some of the speed to to tag an elusive fighter who beat him easly in a prior bout. Some historians rate jack above gene anyhow because jack was beyond his prime in both fights.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      I think it would have put him up a notch or two in the atg ratings.
      By dropping gene jack proved he still had the power,stamina, heart and some of the speed to to tag an elusive fighter who beat him easly in a prior bout. Some historians rate jack above gene anyhow because jack was beyond his prime in both fights.
      As a heavyweight, I do, but not all time. Gene Tunney is the better p4p fighter as much as it hurts me to admit it.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
        As a heavyweight, I do, but not all time. Gene Tunney is the better p4p fighter as much as it hurts me to admit it.
        Are you saying that jack was more of natural heavey weight then gene?

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
          Yes the Fighting Marine is the better p4p fighter, but for me he and Dempsey are # a and b for eternity, and the long count is what forever makes it that way IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
            Are you saying that jack was more of natural heavey weight then gene?
            Easily. Gene Tunney is one of the top 3 LHW of all time and he was an excellent heavyweight (in a different era), but I wouldn't say he was one of the greatest heavyweights ever.

Comment

I don't think it changes anything if Dempsey had won. Tunney would probably be held in slightly less regard as a heavyweight......but there is still no doubt that up to the knockdown Gene was doing another boxing masterclass.

As has already been said, this was an old Jack Dempsey. I've got a feeling that prime for prime Dempsey would have too much pace for Tunney.

Comment

Would have been Carbajal-Arce, only against an ATG who only lost once. That about says it all.
                Last edited by Miburo; 12-03-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I would view him in the same light. Dempsey fought Tunney when he was out of shape and done with the sport.

Had they fought 5 years earlier I would count on Dempsey to put him away.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
                    I would view him in the same light. Dempsey fought Tunney when he was out of shape and done with the sport.

Had they fought 5 years earlier I would count on Dempsey to put him away.
                    Lets not forget tunney was beaten badly once by harry greb.

Comment

Working...
                    X