Collapse
No announcement yet.

lol @ Cries about robberies

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jones was never challenged like that before. It was a very close fight..personally I had it 3-2 Gustafsson but I can see why in a close fight the UFC would give this one to the champion to promote the money maker. Alexander Gustafsson proved that he is a superstar and could beat Jones in a rematch and I can see it turning into a trilogy if he did...that is why I say they gave it to Jones for fiscal reasons. In a way it was a win for Alexander Gustafsson because now he will make some big money leading up to and including the rematch(es).

Comment

I like how this thread was started to complain about partisan whiners and then the OP gets into a partisan whinefest with some other partisan whiner.

Anyway yeah, very good fight that could have gone either way. I picked Jones, but no way you could complain if Gus won.

The rematch should be really interesting. Jones is soooo much more athletic but he couldn't deal with simple jabs, crosses and hooks. I wonder if Gus can learn to neutralize Jones' spinning elbows and take advantage of those spinning kicks and if Jones and learn to deal with a guy with long arms throwing punches. The rematch will be really interesting if not necessarily as good a fight as this one.

Comment

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4420 Numbers wise looking at significant strikes the argument could be made Jones won every single round. The only round Gustaffson landed as many significant strikes was the first round where they both landed 24 and Jones had the higher percentage and landed more in every single round. It boils down to how significant were the stuffed take down attempts as well as the take downs that were successful because striking wise Bones had the edge by far...

Comment

People rather rate punches(and that's all Gus did) higher than landing spinning elbows and high kicks which is nonsensical imo since they do far more damage. Also I wish people would stop acting like Gus slayed his face with his boxing. The cut happened on a missed punch that simply grazed Jones' face.

Comment

I thought Gus edged the first few rounds but I don't have a problem with Jones getting the decision for a few reasons. First is that it was close enough that you can make a good case for either guy.

Second is that in the rounds Gus won, he spent a lot of time backing up, and at times literally running. If you're Anderson Silva, you can back up all night sometimes and that's fine because usually Silva clearly inflicts more damage and lands the better shots doing so. But at times Gus reminded me more of Condit against Diaz. I haven't seen anyone else say this but that's how I saw it at some points.

It's bullshit when a guy clearly wins a fight and Dana/whoever says "you shouldn't leave it to the judges" because if you clearly win and judges take it from you it's not your fault. But if you only have a slight edge in a round and you avoid exchanges too much then you are leaving it to the judges more than you should.

Jones kept trying to win those close rounds and he finished like a champion while Gus didn't look like a 5 round fighter. Maybe it was the cut or he was still hurt from the elbow but in the 5th he looked almost done.

Having said all of that, Gus really proved a lot and deserves a lot of credit. His striking and grappling were better than I'd seen them look before and maybe he can win the rematch.
            Last edited by Clegg; 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X