Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Interesting article about bone composition and fighter's ability to punch...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Interesting article about bone composition and fighter's ability to punch...

stamina, and ability to move up in weight. This was written by Leandro Solis who is a scientist and happens to be a huge fan of the sweet science. It's kind of long but I recommend everyone reading it all the way through. Of course with all studies though, this is not exact, but it does display some interesting stats.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/3/15...d-analysts-and

Interesting excerpts:

So what does having bigger bones mean to a fighter and how does this relate to my goals? Well, I can think of three basic advantages: 1) Bigger bones in theory should give a fighter a better chance to take a punch, in the same manner a house with strong foundations is harder to bring down than one with weaker ones. 2) An athlete's stamina is highly dependent on the content of red blood cells in the blood since these cells are responsible for transporting oxygen from the lungs to every other organ/tissue in the body. Red blood cells are made in the bone marrow, so bigger and denser bones should mean more available red blood cells, and more red blood cells, better stamina. 3) The bigger the skeleton, the more weight a fighter can put on such skeleton, which should allow him to move up in weight more easily. The caveat for this third point, is that higher muscle content means higher demand for red blood cells, which will decrease your stamina, so it is a bit of a balancing act. If a fighter grows too big his stamina will probably be affected even if he has a really big skeleton; this is somewhat evident in the heavyweights, who generally tend to fight at a less intense pace than smaller fighters.
    Having all my data the first thing I did was do a regression analysis using only the height and wrist size, in which the height was used as a predictor for the wrist size. This test showed a statistical significant result, meaning that as height increases so does the wrist size (which I must say is not surprising). The actual equation for this was wrist = 0.935 + height * 0.088. What this means is that someone who is, for example, say 68in (5ft 8in) should have a 6.9in wrist. To check for accuracy, I looked at the data reported in a study from a bone journal, in this study the participants had a reported avg wrist size of 7.17in, with an avg height of 70.6 in. Using the equation I just mentioned above, the expected wrist size of someone who is 70.6in should be 7.15in. What this suggests to me is that the reported heights and wrist dimensions from fighters are actually accurate enough, and that the actual dimensions of the fighters do fall within the average dimensions of a regular population. Now lets look at some fighters: for example, Mayweather is right on target (5ft 8in, 7in wrist), Wlad Klitschko has a wrist a bit smaller than what his height would suggest (should be 7.8in instead of 7.5in), while Hatton is a bit higher (should be 6.8in instead of 7in). Variation is a certainty in everything, so again, it is no big surprise that some fighters are above average while some are below average. Where things get interesting is in the extreme cases, and among these fighters there is no bigger extreme than Pacquiao. The man has 8in wrists, which is higher than the wrist average for heavyweights. When you consider he is only 66.5in tall (just over the superfeatherweight avg height) it feels even more impressive. While I was not thinking of this at the start of this little project, something caught my eye as I looked at the data. One of the things that has characterized Pacquiao during the past two or three years is his ability to punch extremely hard for someone his size against seemingly bigger foes. Well, two fighters among those I checked who also were recognized for their power and who also have 8in wrists with much smaller height than their wrist size would suggest are Joe Louis, 74in height, 8in wrists (should be 7.45in) and Mike Tyson, 71.5in height, 8in wrists (should be 7.23in). I'm assuming it is not necessary to highlight that both Louis and Tyson fought at the heavyweight class.

Floyd has always looked nearly unbeatable at 147lbs and Pacquiao certainly does as well since he moved into the division. So what are their expected weights: 146lbs for Floyd, 150lbs for Pac. Some other interesting cases:

Marquez has always looked in top form and at his best except when he fought Floyd as a welterweight. Even at lightweight many think he is already pushing his limit, well, according to my calculations his fighting weight should be 131lbs, just around the weight where he gave Pacquiao hell in their second fight and defeated Barrera. Pacquiao is ½ inch shorter than Marquez yet he was able to move up in weight while Marquez could not. Many people have used this argument to suggest something improper on the part of Pacquiao; what they miss is that Pacquiao's wrists are 8in while Marquez's are only 6.5in, giving Pacquiao an overall much bigger skeleton. This highlights why a great fighter like Pacquiao can easily adapt to a much higher weight without losing any speed, power, or chin, while another great fighter like Marquez can't, event though both have very similar heights

Once again, not saying anything in this study is fact. It's just an interesting study that could answer a lot of questions, but it's not irrefutable evidence, and shouldn't be taken as such.

Pacquaio has 8 inch wrist due to a lot of HGH

Comment

Originally posted by mrcupide2 View Post
      Pacquaio has 8 inch wrist due to a lot of HGH
      Lol...I love NSB!

Comment

Where is he getting his measurements from? Pac's fists looks like those of a little girls when he does the fist pose with his WW opponents at the Press Conferences, so how the hell do you get such big ass wrists with small hands? I remember Hattons fists looked twice the size of Pac's in their photos together, so I'm having a hard time believing Pac has bigger wrists not to mention a bigger bone structure than Fat Man. Plus Filipinos on average are much smaller than other ethnicities when it comes to bone size, you rarely meet a full-blooded Pinoy over 170 lbs.

Polynesians BY FAR have the biggest bone structure, but outside of Tua they've accomplished little in the sport. And there is a sizable number of active Polyniesian fighters in Australia but they rarely make it past the domestic level if even that. Its true Tua has a good chin and hits like a mack truck. But Mexicans generally have good chins and there bone frames are also relatively small.

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun99 View Post
          Where is he getting his measurements from? Pac's fists looks like those of a little girls when he does the fist pose with his WW opponents at the Press Conferences, so how the hell do you get such big ass wrists with small hands? I remember Hattons fists looked twice the size of Pac's in their photos together, so I'm having a hard time believing Pac has bigger wrists not to mention a bigger bone structure than Fat Man. Plus Filipinos on average are much smaller than other ethnicities when it comes to bone size, you rarely meet a full-blooded Pinoy over 170 lbs.

Polynesians BY FAR have the biggest bone structure, but outside of Tua they've accomplished little in the sport. And there is a sizable number of active Polyniesian fighters in Australia but they rarely make it past the domestic level if even that. Its true Tua has a good chin and hits like a mack truck. But Mexicans generally have good chins and there bone frames are also relatively small.
          There was a similar thread at east+side weeks ago. Some posters embed snapshots of pac's tale of the tape. Yes, Pac got 8 in. wrist. Regarding polynesians, there is really no interest in boxing generally.

Comment

Originally posted by tacuso View Post
            There was a similar thread at east+side weeks ago. Some posters embed snapshots of pac's tale of the tape. Yes, Pac got 8 in. wrist. Regarding polynesians, there is really no interest in boxing generally.

haha just for fun lets have a wrist off:

mine are 7.5"

weight 195

height 5'11''

beat that suckas!

Comment

Working...
            X