Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wins this legendary fight more often than not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

durans mobility was never the same after the first leonard fight. He did not have anywhere near the conditioning. Leonard knew this and wanted the rematch asp and left nothing to chance. The pole shows a toss up and everyone agrees the first fight of there trilogy was the best.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      durans mobility was never the same after the first leonard fight. He did not have anywhere near the conditioning. Leonard knew this and wanted the rematch asp and left nothing to chance. The pole shows a toss up and everyone agrees the first fight of there trilogy was the best.
      Durans mobility??? It's subjective as to which.fight was the best. That's why there are rematches. You have a chance to win twice and prove that it wasn't a fluke or that you're just flat out the better fighter. Duran didn't prove that.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
        Durans mobility??? It's subjective as to which.fight was the best. That's why there are rematches. You have a chance to win twice and prove that it wasn't a fluke or that you're just flat out the better fighter. Duran didn't prove that.
        He wanted to prove it badly, but Leonard said he would never fight him again. Leonard didn't accept a third fight until Duran was way past it.

I disagree with the mobility part, but even if we assumed you're right and Duran "failed to adapt" for the second fight mentally, what makes you think Duran wouldn't have adapted by the third time?

Duran beat Leonard when they each knew nothing of each other, and had to figure things out by thinking in the ring. Leonard needed a second try to figure out Duran (if you believe that Duran was in the same shape, which I don't). Duran was pretty smart and slick himself, and could have altered his style to bring something different to the third fight too.

Leonard never wanted to find out himself though, and for good reason...

Comment

Perhaps the Duran of the first fight was the Duran of the second fight til a few rounds passed and Leonard still refused to trade, simply outboxing Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
            I'd favor Duran and it annoys me when people say that Leonard made the mistake of trying to fight Duran. He didn't have a choice.
            My thinking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by PED Salesman View Post
              My thinking as well.
              If that's the case, why didn't he force him to fight in the 2 other fights? Duran is a great fighter and that's why he beat Ray the 1st time. But lets be honest, Ray fought Duran's fight and still made it close and exciting. When Ray made him fight his fight the 2nd time, Duran quit.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmike2012 View Post
                Leonard wins, he lost the first fight because he let Duran get in his head with all stuff he said about Leonard's wife. Leonard did not box him like he should have and played right into Duran's hand. Leonard isn't a brawler, he can only win if he sticks and moves.
                not with tommy hearns

Comment

Originally posted by PED Salesman View Post
                  He wanted to prove it badly, but Leonard said he would never fight him again. Leonard didn't accept a third fight until Duran was way past it.

I disagree with the mobility part, but even if we assumed you're right and Duran "failed to adapt" for the second fight mentally, what makes you think Duran wouldn't have adapted by the third time?

Duran beat Leonard when they each knew nothing of each other, and had to figure things out by thinking in the ring. Leonard needed a second try to figure out Duran (if you believe that Duran was in the same shape, which I don't). Duran was pretty smart and slick himself, and could have altered his style to bring something different to the third fight too.

Leonard never wanted to find out himself though, and for good reason...
                  A lot of.speculation here.

Leonard didn't NEED a second time to beat Duran. Boxing has rematches. Duran wasn't going to turn down big money just to one up Leonard, lmao.

There are no excuses when you enter that ring. This 'Duran was out of shape' excuse is pure speculation. Duran had to maintain his intensity, and raise his game again to beat leonard again and he couldn't. He quit, and it wasnt because of cramps. Duran didn't adapt. I don't really count fight 3 as a fight because both were past it, but Leonard again won by boxing.

This 'Leonard never wanted to find out himself though 'statement is subjective, and more of a retaliation to what I said. Duran fought at a high level against Leonard, and earned legendary props for that win. Don't credit and then give Duran an excuse for winning and losing fights 1 & 2. That aint kosher.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                    I'd favor Duran and it annoys me when people say that Leonard made the mistake of trying to fight Duran. He didn't have a choice.
                    You are so right. But people ride with Durans excuse in the rematch. That annoys me too.

Comment

Why do people act like Duran dominated the 1st fight or Leonard dominated the 2nd???both were very close

Comment

Working...
                      X