Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The most skilled fighter you've ever seen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    In my lifetime? Purely based off skills? It's hard to say.

Probably between Monzon, Arguello, Duran, Whitaker, Mayweather and Roy Jones.
    I think this makes sense throw in ray robinson. both benny and ray leonard. there brothers right lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
      then why didn't his skills transfer when he lost that step?

I know, I'm probably known as a Jone hater even though I felt he was very exciting. I just don't see how people can claim he's so skilled when he just lost a step and proved his skills were never where they needed to be.

Salvador Sanchez did a lot of the little things right for his age.

SRR is probably the best ever. He could twinkle to the right when he needed too. That's something very few fighters could do like he did.

Jones didnt loose until he was 35 years old. Go look at all of the greats from the past and tell me how they performed at 35 and older. SRR, SRL, Ali, all of them.

How old were freaking Hagler and Marciano when they permanently retired?

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        Jones didnt loose until he was 35 years old. Go look at all of the greats from the past and tell me how they performed at 35 and older. SRR, SRL, Ali, all of them.

How old were freaking Hagler and Marciano when they permanently retired?
        I think you are arguing something which has little to do with skills.

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
          Burley? There isn't even footage of him except some 10 minutes highlight clip in which he looked pretty "normal" to me.
          k

Originally posted by raskat View Post
          Thread title says "...you've ever seen".
          and i answered the thread

Comment

Wilfred The Radar Benitez, Sugar Ray, Roy Jones, Wilfredo Gomez, Floyd

Comment

In my lifetime I guess it has to Leonard.

Comment

Has too be Whitaker for me too,Mayweather second

Comment

Originally posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
                  then why didn't his skills transfer when he lost that step?

I know, I'm probably known as a Jone hater even though I felt he was very exciting. I just don't see how people can claim he's so skilled when he just lost a step and proved his skills were never where they needed to be.

Salvador Sanchez did a lot of the little things right for his age.

SRR is probably the best ever. He could twinkle to the right when he needed too. That's something very few fighters could do like he did.

Well Jones was pretty sensational for well over a decade. His reflexes and chin had to go sometime. He is as skilled as I've seen a boxer.......but there are so many others too; Robinson, Pep, Charles, Ali, Leonard....

Comment

The most skilled fighter you've ever seen?
                    probably Sugar Ray Leonard.
                    To those who mentioned Pernell Whitaker: I kinda agree, but: his defensive moves include a lot of bending below the waist, which is basically illegal. So I have to go with SRL

Comment

Originally posted by Vadrigar View Post
                      Who is the most skilled fighter you've ever seen in boxing history?

For me it has to be Pernell Whitaker. In his prime he had exceptional hand and foot coordination combined with perfectly timed head movement. He could look at any given fighter and anticipate the next two punches they would throw. He was basically two moves ahead of his opponent. One thing that stands out is his ability to counter fighters at their own pace. So he would evade the punch at the same speed it was thrown and then counter back. To be honest the stuff is getting too technical for me to describe further haha.

Since fighters at smallest weight classes have a natural advantage in moving their body effectively compared to heavyweights, it makes sense to list them separately. At heavyweight I pick Muhammad Ali.

Who I have actually watched live: Pernell Whitaker, Floyd Mayweather jr.

Who I have watched on film: Willie Pep. Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard.

Comment

Working...
                      X