No announcement yet.

Bruce Lee, how good was he actually?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
    in a very controlled specific fighting style environment like boxing, sure bruce lee would get obliterated by mike tyson.

but in a more wide open fighting situation like say a street fight or an mma fight, size starts to matter less and skill becomes more important.

the very first UFC fights in the black box era of the 90s have already proven that.

i saw badass huge tank abbott get submitted and broken down by a skinny russian wearing pink underwear.

royce gracie is another fighter who regularly beats up fighters with 40 to 50 plus lbs weight advantage on him.

so bruce lee vs iron mike in boxing = clear cut annihilation for tyson.

bruce lee vs iron mike in mma/or street fighting, i dont know who wins that.
    Tyson in his prime weighed what? 215? That's 80 pounds more than Lee's 135, give or take

Add Tyson's power, athleticism and strenght and you pretty much know how a fight beetwen them would look like

Tyson would kill Bruce Lee, in the street fight especially and i'm being serious right now
    Last edited by Szef; 11-16-2014, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling Archer View Post
      in a very controlled specific fighting style environment like boxing, sure bruce lee would get obliterated by mike tyson.

but in a more wide open fighting situation like say a street fight or an mma fight, size starts to matter less and skill becomes more important.

the very first UFC fights in the black box era of the 90s have already proven that.

i saw badass huge tank abbott get submitted and broken down by a skinny russian wearing pink underwear.

royce gracie is another fighter who regularly beats up fighters with 40 to 50 plus lbs weight advantage on him.

so bruce lee vs iron mike in boxing = clear cut annihilation for tyson.

bruce lee vs iron mike in mma/or street fighting, i dont know who wins that.
      Are you crazy? Tank Abbott was ****, he was never more than a pub fighter. Gracie was a ground fighter and an incredible one, which is why so many stand up fighters lost against him since they had no grappling or ground game at all especially in the early days where the UFC was one fighting style vs another rather than a mix of fighting styles versus a mix.

Bruce Lee never learned to grapple, never learned any significant ground game, never trained in submissions. Bruce Lee was a predominantly stand up fighter. In any combat sport Tyson destroys Bruce Lee. Additionally, Bruce Lee never, ever, ever fought anyone in a real competitive fight. EVER.

These comparisons are ridiculous. Also the Gracie fight you posted was against Akebono the sumo wrestler? He had a record of 4-0 in MMA and a record of 1-8 in Kickboxing. He wasn't even an amateur wrestler, his only combat training before Gracie was getting annahilated by Bob Sapp and some other guy in kickboxing and Sumo wrestling. What you just posted is the equivalent of Mike Tyson boxing a fatter average joe off the street.

Comment

lol, you guys are taking everything out of contest.

It's like discussing who would make the best airplanes The Wright Brothers or Boeing. Or who would make for the best bodybuilder Eugen Sander or Jay Cutler. One pioneered the art the other ones are a product of decades of perfecting it.

Bruce was a pioneer and he revolutionied martial arts from the old school strict "arts" to what would become (decades after his death) the UFC with fighters like the Gracie Family who perfected the art. - let me explain.
        You have to understand when Bruce came to the scene "martial art" was a very secret sub-culture and the chinese didn't want Bruce to teach Chinese martial art to none chinese. He even had to FIGHT for the right to teach it. And he beat them all..

He later mixed in Western Boxing, Japanese Jiu Jiutsu, Wing Chun and everything else he could come across (it was the freaking 60s and 70s - no internet around) and his knowledge he would put down in a style of fighting known as Jeet Kune Do.

Bruce was a combat savant, he lived, breathed and trained none stop, and would understand it and adopt it like no other. I see him doing very well fighting within his weightclass but remember guys, don't put old school pioneer standards on modern ways of doing things, it simply ain't fair.

Comment

The people who were there; legitimate world champion martial artists and the like, talked about Bruce like he was the second coming of Jesus. He was deeply entrenched in the culture of real martial arts. People let the movie stuff confuse them.

Comment

Working...
          X