Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Team Pacquiao/Top Rank make a play for the WBC Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Khan KO1 over Floyd in the second tenth of the first second of the fight.

Comment

It's too risky a proposition for TR because the numbers involved are so out of whack with the normal business of boxing.

How much do you bid if you are TR knowing you have to beat GBP? 75 million? 100 million 125 million?

For a fight that you don't really want (arum anyhow)....

GBP and Mayweather have every incentive to beat a TR offer because 75% of the offer goes to Floyd in the end anyhow if the fight gets made.

In theory it sounds like a great plan - I just think there are too many ways it could potentially go wrong and there is so much money involved - plus they could damage themselves significantly in the eyes of boxing fans if they bluff, get called out, and then fold.

Comment

Originally posted by Slip Stream View Post
        That may be true if the "norm" applied across the board 100% of the time, but the truth is it doesn't always.
        Oh but Floyd would surely disagree with you if we didn't take every quote of his at face value. Maybe "I care about my health/This guy is knocking guys out I couldn't" really means I'm not sure whether I can beat this guy. Certainly he has left huge gaps of inactivity where certain match-up's didn't happen when they were supposed to happen, therefore we will never know. Be as it may...

Sometimes there are rare exceptions to this rule, athletes so gifted both in terms of physical abilities and intellect that they transcend their medium. Floyd wasn't born to make money, talk **** or bring notoriety to the sport, he was born to box.
        This is just hyperbole. Especially from an Atheistic point of view, nobody is born to do anything. Maybe if Floyd was closer to 99-0 (ignoring the modern times of PPV's and promoting an event, which you were surely gonna throw at me in your next post even though that's not the point), having cleaned out every division he came through, you would have a point. Certainly Manny Pacquiao with all his deficiencies also increased his chances of a loss by the fact that he fought a lot more times in total, therefore more chances of running into a fighter that causes problems and gives him a loss (I.E. JMM)

The tally right now is 62 fights for Manny to 45 fights for Floyd. That's 17 more times that Manny took a theoretical risk of getting KO'd or beaten.

Amir Khan is not the solution, I can't even go there seriously. C'mon dude.....
        Did I say that he would beat Floyd? No. I just used him as an example. At 5'9/5'10, he is taller. We already know of his Wildcard Gym-like stamina, and we know of his speed. If there is one thing that's been missing in Floyd's career is opponents who have speed and stamina. Zab Judah could qualify but according to Floyd's own admission "Zab is a 'front runner' who fights for 5 rounds", and he was right. Many pinned their hopes on Mosley but he too started to display stamina issues, even though he had speed.

Stylistically, I certainly would prefer Khan over Maidana, and I'm one of the people who predicted that Maidana would beat Broner:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=621395

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
          yes i think so. It wouldn't force floyd to fight as he would simply vacate the title and run away but it would highlight once again how much he is ducking and perhaps hurt his PPVs going forward.

When the floyd v kahn PPV bombs out showtime won't be happy and floyd will have to step up v somebody dangerous in his next fight
          I agree with you about his next PPV bombing. I wrote this thread right after the Canelo/Floyd fight, titled: Trying to sell an opponent for Floyd Mayweather http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=610723

Simply put, the way he beat Canelo right after the way he beat Guerrero, it will be hard to get people interested again and spend 65 bucks on "an event" as if it's a Musician performing a concert rather than a two-way battle.

Comment

The WBC wouldn't mandate or strip Floyd of the title.

Comment

Wouldn't be a bad idea but I guarantee they don't do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                Oh but Floyd would surely disagree with you if we didn't take every quote of his at face value. Maybe "I care about my health/This guy is knocking guys out I couldn't" really means I'm not sure whether I can beat this guy. Certainly he has left huge gaps of inactivity where certain match-up's didn't happen when they were supposed to happen, therefore we will never know. Be as it may...

This is just hyperbole. Especially from an Atheistic point of view, nobody is born to do anything. Maybe if Floyd was closer to 99-0 (ignoring the modern times of PPV's and promoting an event, which you were surely gonna throw at me in your next post even though that's not the point), having cleaned out every division he came through, you would have a point. Certainly Manny Pacquiao with all his deficiencies also increased his chances of a loss by the fact that he fought a lot more times in total, therefore more chances of running into a fighter that causes problems and gives him a loss (I.E. JMM)

The tally right now is 62 fights for Manny to 45 fights for Floyd. That's 17 more times that Manny took a theoretical risk of getting KO'd or beaten.

Did I say that he would beat Floyd? No. I just used him as an example. At 5'9/5'10, he is taller. We already know of his Wildcard Gym-like stamina, and we know of his speed. If there is one thing that's been missing in Floyd's career is opponents who have speed and stamina. Zab Judah could qualify but according to Floyd's own admission "Zab is a 'front runner' who fights for 5 rounds", and he was right. Many pinned their hopes on Mosley but he too started to display stamina issues, even though he had speed.

Stylistically, I certainly would prefer Khan over Maidana, and I'm one of the people who predicted that Maidana would beat Broner:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=621395
                Khan's stamina isn't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Khan's stamina isn't that good.
                  I don't think so. The only thing that kept him from getting ko'd against Maid ana was his stamina. Much the same way it kept Bradley from getting ko'd vs Provodnikov. However he could have regressed in his post - Freddie Roach fights.

Comment

WBC wont strip floyd, he's WBC's Cash cow. Too big too lose from the sanctioning fees floyd pays.

It's the Duck and the Penguin!

Sulaiman= The Penguin
                    The Duck= Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                      Did I not say "Just for show"? This fight is not make-able.

All it would accomplish is taking the WBC Belt out of the Goldenboy roster, which was my point to begin with. Then you can have a Bradley Vs Pacquiao unification fight instead of just Bradley defending his WBO against Pacquiao.
                      what is this a top rank strategy session on something that will never happen. floyd has, al haymon money, oscar de la hoya money, and his own money.

pack owes 68 million and floyd signed a 250 million dollar contract you guys hate floyd so much it blinds your capacity to reason..

Comment

Working...
                      X