Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After Pacquiao's streak - have any of your P4P lists changed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Pacquiao's streak - have any of your P4P lists changed?

I am just wondering if any of you have injected Pacquiao into your lists or do you think that his resume is not very impressive due to 'cherry picking' as some would call it?

jeez, sorry to have upset your delicate sensibilities. I honestly thought some of fellas would have found this to be an interesting question.

Comment

Will rank him when his career is over.

If I set to ranking him now I'll be holding him on a higher pedestal to everyone else and would probably lead to unfair judgment when he does retire, it's easier to do when it's all over and done with.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post

If I set to ranking him now I'll be holding him on a higher pedestal to everyone else and would probably lead to unfair judgment when he does retire, it's easier to do when it's all over and done with.
        Thanks for the response - and I would agree that it's easier once they're done but Pacquiao seems to be on the down side of his career. He's got (as you know) one fight worth making. Can his ranking go significantly lower or higher with or without a Floyd win?

I know that my wording was awkward as hell - I hope that you get my drift.

Comment

IMO Manny Pacquiao is Top 3 ATG P4P and will most likely be rated as the greatest boxer in the history of the sport.. Morales (thrice) Marquez (twice), Barrera (twice), Delahoya, Cotto, Hatton, Margarito i would not call those "cherry-picking" a case can be made that Oscar was past it yet it was Oscar who called for a fight with Pacquiao and Pacquiao was a 4/1 dog... 8 world titles in 8 weight divisions is a phenominal achievement and Manny Pacquiao is a phenominal fighter and a class human being .

Comment

My thoughts too. It is unwise to try and rank a fighter currently at his peak in an all time context. You can apply it to someone like Holyfield or Hopkins if you must, but a look back at a complete career will usually give you a clearer judgement.

And not to mention my "delicate sensibilities"...

Comment

I was thinking about making a thread along those lines as well.

I found the Marg win hugely impressive. Not so much as it being a win, as hat was expected of a 3-1 fav., but rather the way in which he did it. Not losing a round and landing those power punches right between the guard seemingly at will left a lasting impression on me.

Now Pac should get huge credit for moving up in weight and beating bigger men along the way. What is still lacking though is him beating another bona-fide ATG. So him beating Floyd will take him a long way towards the top 10 all-time. I reckon that if he called it a day now he should be in the top 20.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Horton View Post
                Thanks for the response - and I would agree that it's easier once they're done but Pacquiao seems to be on the down side of his career. He's got (as you know) one fight worth making. Can his ranking go significantly lower or higher with or without a Floyd win?

I know that my wording was awkward as hell - I hope that you get my drift.
                A Floyd win would definitely put him higher by a few places, Floyd would be the most skilled person he would have beat and he would have took his 0, imo his ranking wouldn't go lower because he didn't fight him it can only go higher because of what he has already achieved.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  IMO Manny Pacquiao is Top 3 ATG P4P and will most likely be rated as the greatest boxer in the history of the sport.. Morales (thrice) Marquez (twice), Barrera (twice), Delahoya, Cotto, Hatton, Margarito i would not call those "cherry-picking" a case can be made that Oscar was past it yet it was Oscar who called for a fight with Pacquiao and Pacquiao was a 4/1 dog... 8 world titles in 8 weight divisions is a phenominal achievement and Manny Pacquiao is a phenominal fighter and a class human being .
                  So who must rate him over alot of fighters. Do you rate him over Langford, Pep, Gans, Greb, B.Leonard?

Comment

A Floyd win would definitely put him higher by a few places, Floyd would be the most skilled person he would have beat and he would have took his 0, imo his ranking wouldn't go lower because he didn't fight him it can only go higher because of what he has already achieved.
                    What about a Floyd loss? What would it do for Floyd?

Comment

Working...
                    X