Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lesnar And Junior Dos Santos TUF 13 Coaches!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Lesnar And Junior Dos Santos TUF 13 Coaches!!

After months of speculation and more than a dozen rumored names, UFC president Dana White today announced heavyweight contenders Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos will be coaches on the upcoming 13th season of "The Ultimate Fighter."

White made the announcement during a media call.

"The Ultimate Fighter 13" debuts March 30 on ****e TV, and a live finale is slated for June 4. The coaches meet in a season-ending fight at an event to be announced.

Although initially announced as a middleweight and welterweight season of the UFC's long-running reality series, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported earlier this week that producers instead opted to make "TUF 13" a welterweights-only show. Production begins this month in Las Vegas. In an elimination round of fights, 28 hopefuls will fight for 14 official cast spots. The show uses a 32-slot tournament, which includes two "wild card" picks who earn a second life in the quarterfinals.

Over the past couple months, many UFC veterans had been rumored for potential "TUF 13" coaching slots, including Frankie Edgar, Gray Maynard, Frank Mir, Shane Carwin, Wanderlei Silva, Chael Sonnen, Chris Leben, Brian Stann, Dominick Cruz, Urijah Faber, Anthony Pettis, Jose Aldo and others. Ultimately, though, officials went with the big men, Lesnar and Dos Santos.

White said Velasquez's recent shoulder surgery and long layoff opened the door for Lesnar and Dos Santos, which then "made all the sense in the world." However, no interim title will be on the line when the coaches fight, though the winner gets an immediate title shot with Velasquez.

Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) is a former titleholder who lost his belt to current champ Cain Velasquez in October. The former WWE star has emerged as the UFC's top pay-per-view draw, and his inclusion in "TUF" should translate to big ratings.

Dos Santos (12-1 MMA, 6-0 UFC), meanwhile, recently claimed top-contender status by posting a 6-0 record in the UFC. Recent wins have come over Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, Gilbert Yvel, Gabriel Gonzaga and Roy Nelson.

"TUF" debuted in 2005 and proved a ratings hit. It also helped the UFC's and MMA's move into the mainstream. Since the debut season, the show has launched the career of more than 100 UFC fighters, and past cast members Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans and Matt Serra went on to win UFC titles.

For more on "The Ultimate Fighter 13," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

How long has Brock Lesnar been training in MMA? Is he really in any position to be a coach.

I know it is just a tool to get ratings and sell the last fight but still, seems a bit ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
      How long has Brock Lesnar been training in MMA? Is he really in any position to be a coach.

I know it is just a tool to get ratings and sell the last fight but still, seems a bit ridiculous.
      It's obviously a means to a fight. And more time for Brock to learn and train.

Comment

I would of thought that the contestants would be teaching Brock more.

Does this also mean that Dos Santos will be fighting Brock?

Comment

Originally posted by Napalm Death View Post
          I would of thought that the contestants would be teaching Brock more.

Does this also mean that Dos Santos will be fighting Brock?
          Traditionally yes, but it does not say that in the announcement. Hmmmmm.

Just reread it.

The coaches meet in a season-ending fight at an event to be announced.
          Last edited by American_Ninja; 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM.

Comment

the finale is scheduled for june 4th and ufc 131 is in Vancouver thats where they'll fight....i hope.
            Brock has some pretty good trainers and im sure he'll bring them along, GSP did the same thing he brought in trainers an let them train an he joined in and sparred with the fighters.

Comment

I think having Brock as a coach will make things interesting. At the end of the day, TUF is (like a lot of UFC programming) full of hype and sometimes lacking in real substance, so I don't see this as much of a change for the show.

He doesn't have great skills or a varied game, but I think he can do a good job with the right people assissting him. BJP is more skillful than Pulver, but Pulver was a better coach because he seemed to have better motivational/people skills.

Brock-JDS will also make for a bit of a personality clash on the show and style clash in the cage, which is a good thing I think. I think JDS will take it because his TKD is better than Brock's striking, making it more likely that he'll get it done standing before being put on his back by a takedown.

Comment

As far as I know Cigano does not speak a word of english... HE must be taking some intensive lessons.

Comment

What exactly is Brock going to teach anyone about MMA?

and how the hell is JDS going to communicate?

Comment

JDS has a serious language gap with this. He doesnt come further than a few thank you's at the end of his fights

Comment

Working...
                    X