Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question to those who were following boxing for at least 15 years...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
    It's funny how so many people overlook that. I can remember a lot of people picking Trinidad too. He was the favorite and unbeaten at that time.
    I'm pretty sure he was rated just behind Roy Jones on most P4P lists when the fight was made. It was a legitimate upset when Hopkins won so dominantly.

Comment

I favored Hopkins in the fight for sure. Part of it was likely the way Oscar was able to out box Trinadad. Not a big fan of Hopkins but I have allways had a lot of respect for his ability to win fights.

Comment

SO many people picked Trinidad. I wasn't as hardcore a fan as now, but I remember that because it was supposed to be Tito's crowning achievement to top his career off. People were shocked when Hopkins beat his ass.

Looking back, we all should have known.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          By destroying Joppy, Trinidad proved himself as capable a middleweight as any at the time.
          Trinidad should have never tried to carry that weight. He looked much much slower. If you think beating Joppy was huge then........WoW just Wow. Joppy was a puppet to make Tito look good.

I do remember a lot of people picking Trinidad and I thought "Yall must be out of your damn mind". Trinidad, to me was just a good fighter not a great one. The severe overrating had me laughing my ass off when he took the fight with BHop. Tito was never great against guys with good D. Throw in the size and I had Hopkin blowing him out just like he did.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
            Trinidad should have never tried to carry that weight. He looked much much slower. If you think beating Joppy was huge then........WoW just Wow. Joppy was a puppet to make Tito look good.
            You mean dismantling the #2 ranked Middleweight wasn't impressive to you?

I do remember a lot of people picking Trinidad and I thought "Yall must be out of your damn mind". Trinidad, to me was just a good fighter not a great one. The severe overrating had me laughing my ass off when he took the fight with BHop. Tito was never great against guys with good D. Throw in the size and I had Hopkin blowing him out just like he did.
            In hindsight maybe, but at the time, no one expected Tito to get walked over like he did. Even with the vast size and skill disadvantage.

Tito was vastly more hyped than Hopkins was.

Comment

nice thread
              with good comments
              was Hopkins fan long before this fight and wanted him to win and did he ever deliver.

Comment

Joppy was the second best fighter in the division, so the win WAS meaningful. I never said it was huge though, only that he "proved himself as capable a middleweight as any at the time."

Comment

let me get this **** straight, Tito was a 4-1 favorite but everyone who reads this post knew Hopkins was going to win? BS! Almost every boxing fan(me included) though Tito was gonna whip his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                    let me get this **** straight, Tito was a 4-1 favorite but everyone who reads this post knew Hopkins was going to win? BS! Almost every boxing fan(me included) though Tito was gonna whip his ass.
                    Thanks for telling the truth. It's just like all the people who supposedly knew that Calzaghe would beat Lacy and Barrera would beat Hamed. Fight results like this serve as a lesson on how to pick winners.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      Thanks for telling the truth. It's just like all the people who supposedly knew that Calzaghe would beat Lacy and Barrera would beat Hamed. Fight results like this serve as a lesson on how to pick winners.
                      Without question I knew that Barrera was going to beat Hamed. Without a doubt. My uncle and I watched that fight and leading up to it we had zero doubts that he would win.

I am having a hard time remembering but wasn't Barrera being picked by most boxing analysts?

Comment

Working...
                      X