No announcement yet.

Best track record of sparring mates becoming champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best track record of sparring mates becoming champions

Pacquiao had several sparring mates who have gone on to be successful boxers with belts. Some better then others. Mickey Garcia, Shawn porter, Ruslan, khan, Beltran, Ortiz, mayfield.

Historically, which boxers have had the best sparring? Chaves had jlc. I believe Duran had Chavez. Ali had Holmes and spinks.

Duran sparred Chavez? I wanna see that.

I seen footage of Duran sparring Nigel Benn

Comment

Originally posted by prolific View Post
      Pacquiao had several sparring mates who have gone on to be successful boxers with belts. Some better then others. Mickey Garcia, Shawn porter, Ruslan, khan, Beltran, Ortiz, mayfield.

Historically, which boxers have had the best sparring? Chaves had jlc. I believe Duran had Chavez. Ali had Holmes and spinks.

dont forget PAC also sparred with the great Israel Vazquez

Comment

Every fighter spars with someone better than them as that is how you learn. So, everyone was someone's sparring mate at one point.

Although there is a difference between a journeyman/average boxer being used for sparring like Beltran and a prospect like Porter and Khan sparring with Pacquiao. The former "normally" doesn't have any hope to do well and is a designated punching bag of sort, while the latter is using the experience to go up in levels. So, the only name that stands out is Beltran because no one expected him to do well.
        Last edited by Box-Office; 06-02-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fish262 View Post
          Duran sparred Chavez? I wanna see that.

I seen footage of Duran sparring Nigel Benn
          I think I'm mistaken actually...

Comment

Two up and coming fighters that Pacquiao sparred that have potential of getting a world title are Zou Shiming and Lydell Rhodes

Comment

Jimmy Ellis.

Comment

Oliver McCall.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
                  Every fighter spars with someone better than them as that is how you learn. So, everyone was someone's sparring mate at one point.

Although there is a difference between a journeyman/average boxer being used for sparring like Beltran and a prospect like Porter and Khan sparring with Pacquiao. The former "normally" doesn't have any hope to do well and is a designated punching bag of sort, while the latter is using the experience to go up in levels. So, the only name that stands out is Beltran because no one expected him to do well.
                  What I'm really curious about is if there are other boxers that have sparred with this many champions? Usually, you hear random sparring sessions like Peterson mayweather or Chavez vs. de la Hoya. But pacquiao spars these guys for years. Then they end up being champions. Wondering if there are others.

Comment

Who knows??boxers have sparred with pretty much most of the other boxers sometime in their boxing careers.

Comment

Working...
                    X