No announcement yet.

Where will MMA be like in 10 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where will MMA be like in 10 years?

I think about this all the time, and it scares me. As much as MMA has evolved in the past 10 years imagine 10 years from now. I hope it doesnt end up like street fighter, guys throwing fireballs out of there hands.

scorpion

Good to see ya around, Jeremy.

You're asking this question in the right place, because to be honest, I've thought of this many times myself. I can see the sport making evolutions beyond what we'd even think imaginable in the next ten years, including the addition of

* electrified brabed wire fence around the octagon
    * the inclusion of weapons, and possibly firearms
    * multiple-attackers-vs-one-fighter matches (See RTR's "Racially motivated Police Beatings: MMA or No?" thread)

I could think of more, but it's Friday. I'm done thinking. Have a good weekend, all.

Comment

hahaha. fireballs.... haha. i hope not!

i think it will be as popular as boxing, baseball, basketball, football, etc. It has grown tremendously and I can see it going that way. More events are opening up and more fighters are stepping to the plate. In addition, female fighters are getting recognized now, which i can see that drawing in new crowds and even helping some to except it as a sport. I see events like UFC being around. I don't see the UFC and Pride being the biggest MMA events. As this sport gets more bigger, it gets more competetive, which means more events will open up.

For example, it started with people like the gracies, which (no disrespect) are not the best anymore cause everyone is mastering their style and every style comming out. There are alot more rounded fighters than there were before. As you can see that most of the oldies are not the best anymore cause everyone is training to be the best, well rounded fighter.

I can see MMA growing and growing, getting unbanned in states they are banned in, and hopefully the open hand events can turn into closed fist as it gets more excepted. i see alot in the future of mma. I am glad i got involved when i did. Preaty soon i am sure it will be hard to get a fight unless you are the best (ie. not everyone can play basketball, and not everyone can get in and fight in the UFC n' Pride). I am sure that the competition will only get better.

I also see sports like pro wrestling and **** like that not holding ground when MMA takes off, for it is a FAKE fight show. And i am sure when people get exposed to the actual REAL fights, those others will die off slowly.

Comment

I think a good way to see is look at the sport ten years ago in comparison to today. It's going to get more main stream, and with that comes the pro's and con's. I want the sport promoted in the right way, but it is going to be going any many different directions, each new promotion looking for a new gimmick to sell its product. I enjoy the interviews of the fighters and getting to know them in some aspects, but I feel that since the majority of people respond to fighters being rude and obnoxious that its going to go closer to the wwf style and have less honor in it. IE Tito having the bad boy image, and then being used as the poster boy for UFC, in essence, for our main stream, he is the poster boy for MMA, and these people are going to be seeing a guy with gang tats and flames representing the sport. I am not trying to discredit TIto, on the contrary he is one of my favorites, and I enjoy his image. I may be one of the drones that buys into that image selling.

If I had it my way, in 10 years the sport would be lucrative, yet still hold its honor. Mixed martial arts would be a household name, and even people who aren't fans would be aware of it, and have the option to see it. I don't watch basketball, but I normally see a game when flipping through the channels. And I want the fans of it then to not see the images, but to see two gladiators fighting for pride and honor, not so much dollars and cents, because thats gonna be there regardless.

Comment

Damn,.. i agree with Waylander. Well said.

Comment

totally. i mean tito is awsome, and his and ken's beef was great for the show, but overall..... not for mma. atleast if mma is looking to grow. it has to be more respected for people to except it.

it is violent, but its like any other sport, you go out there with the goal to win. you can put in your mind... i am going to knock him the **** out, cause that is what your goal is, but to come out disrespectful is only going to paralalyze us from growing.

i think if we have more respect for the sport and show it as ken and tito did when they huged and shook hands at the end, will help the sport alot. i hope it does not evolve to the wwf. no matter how small mma is right now..... the realness is what people love and it will shine if we just give it time respectively.

Comment

The biggest problem with MMA becoming mainstream is that it will have to become more ****genised for the greater market.

For instance UFC 1...no one wore gloves, except for Art Jimmerson, groin shots were allowed (at least Hackney got away with it in IV), head butts were ok and it was basically anything goes. Which was the most realistic scenario for the fighters and the fans to see what styles did what etc etc.

Now, the guys wear gloves, which protects the hands somewhat making more KO's possible (which kinda contradicts the whole fan friendly idea), the rules have changed to outlaw head butts and groin shots etc and the rounds are shorter.

It is definitely presented better, and will probably gain more fans in the next 10 years with this approach. I just hope that in the attempt to make MMA mainstream, the powers that be don't forget what it is all about, which is the fighters testing themselves in the toughest arena possible...not a pyrotechnics show with a fight between two guys strangled by laws.

I guess is being mainstream as important as the sport keeping its integrity?

Comment

The sport has to keep its integrity. If UFC/PRIDE the other main stream events don't keep their integrity, their will be promotions that do, and I will remain a fan, and support those. Not saying the UFC and/or pride will lose their integrity, but as best I can tell, I would think UFC would lose theirs first. Here are a couple reasons, I may be alone on this, but I thought Ken and Tito hated each other way too much and got way too much "hate" publicity to hug and be friends at the end of their bout. Also the gambling odds are being posted for UFC now and the more money is going to be involved in it in a negative way. Also I think they handled the Jens Pulver thing way wrong. Here is a completely speculative scenario but look at it this way
                Jens Pulver is champ, yet he came in as an under dog against Penn. Now odds are being placed in the local newspapers so your definately encouraged to bet on them. Jens is pissed because he is the champ and he is getting 10 grand, where penn is getting 30 grand. The contract negotiatoins are going to ****, and a bookie could stand to make 100 grand for betting a ****load on penn and having jens lose. He is going to be in the UFC long, so he takes the dive and gets his pay. May not happen with these fighters, but I think its going to be something to watch out for.

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander
                  The sport has to keep its integrity. If UFC/PRIDE the other main stream events don't keep their integrity, their will be promotions that do, and I will remain a fan, and support those. Not saying the UFC and/or pride will lose their integrity, but as best I can tell, I would think UFC would lose theirs first. Here are a couple reasons, I may be alone on this, but I thought Ken and Tito hated each other way too much and got way too much "hate" publicity to hug and be friends at the end of their bout. Also the gambling odds are being posted for UFC now and the more money is going to be involved in it in a negative way. Also I think they handled the Jens Pulver thing way wrong. Here is a completely speculative scenario but look at it this way
                  Jens Pulver is champ, yet he came in as an under dog against Penn. Now odds are being placed in the local newspapers so your definately encouraged to bet on them. Jens is pissed because he is the champ and he is getting 10 grand, where penn is getting 30 grand. The contract negotiatoins are going to ****, and a bookie could stand to make 100 grand for betting a ****load on penn and having jens lose. He is going to be in the UFC long, so he takes the dive and gets his pay. May not happen with these fighters, but I think its going to be something to watch out for.
                  Sounds like the way a lot of Pro Boxing has gone over the years...

This would be the last thing MMA would want

Comment

I don't think MMA will be as big as boxing or baseball...but it will be bigger....

but the fireball thing could happen....

Comment

Working...
                    X