Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Aaron Pryor is considered an ATG at 140, why not Danny Garcia?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir Usman View Post
    Beating Arguello at 130 lbs yes but this was not prime Arguello.

I forgot about Cervantes, a good win but consider that benitez and Locche among numerous other had gotten to him before Pryor. It was a good win but nothing amazing.

Garcia beat PRIME Matthysse at his best weight class, he had two close and debatable losses but was widely considered at his best, unlike Arguello when he fought Pryor.
    doesn't change the fact that arguello was considered the best at lightweight at the time and a world champion at lightweight, and not too long ago he demolished mancini (another great lightweight).

and cervantes was considered the best at jr welterweight at the time and was the wba world champ. yes he was past his prime, but he is a legend at that weight class and i believe pryor was moving up in weight too.

beating cervantes and arguello is a great accomplishment. those are two absolute legends and hof'ers.

matthysse hadn't done anything of significance before fighting danny and it's not even certain he will end up having a stellar or even hof worthy career (he hasn't even won a legit world title at 140) and khan has some okay wins at 140. but khan is not ever going to be a hof'er imo.
    Last edited by Divine Hammer; 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM.

Comment

What about the great Antonio Cervantes? Forgot about him?

Comment

I think biggest reason Pryor is consider greater is because he destroyed guys on the levels of Holt, Herrea, and Judah, usually within 6 rounds. Garcia on the other hand struggled with this level of comp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Usman View Post
          How many fighter at 140lbs actually have a better resume than Danny?

He should be top 10-20, resumes don't lie.
          Tim Bradley at 140 has a better resume than Danny

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post

Fuc
            k off, you'll do nothing.
            go down to east Texas and you'll see what I can do

Comment

Originally posted by Killer_of_Sheep View Post
              What about the great Antonio Cervantes? Forgot about him?
              Cervantes is overrated no?

the guy lost to a past it Locche and won only when that guy was shot. He lost almost all other top level fights he had against guys who were his own size. Possibly his best win is against a lightweight.

Don't get me wrong, Cervantes was a terrific fighter but hardly a true great to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats I have in my list.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                go down to east Texas and you'll see what I can do
                I'm there right now. I just saw some fat kid with crapped stained shorts running away crying. Was that you?

Comment

He had some good wins over (older) Cervantes, Arguello 2x (way above his best weight class) and decent wins over Johnson, Kameda and others but yes I do think he's over-glorified now. Mostly, I believe, because of his aggressive fighting style and the false notion that guys like Hearns (who he whooped in the amateurs) and especially Leonard wanted no parts of him. This is simply not true, and with Leonard, if you're familiar with the time frame of their careers, the fight between them just couldn't materialize. However, I do recall reading that they offered Pryor a good sum of money (around 500k) to take the Leonard fight and he turned it down claiming he deserved more. Furthermore, I read that he was also offered a fight against Duran for even more money (750k) and he also turned that down. I know this thread is about his reign at 140 but I don't think he would have fared well against the top guys at 147 in those times, he was very sloppy and sometimes very open. In essence, I think he was a very good fighters but I simply don't subsrcibe to the notion that he's the "best jr. welterweight of all time." However, I must note that this all happened before my time so my opinion is solely based on reading articles, forums, watching youtube. ect.
                  Last edited by _original_; 07-23-2014, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeekDaGreat View Post
                    You really think Danny is one of the ATG fighters at 140? He's been comprehensively outboxed by considerably lesser talent. Khan was schooling him for 3 rounds as well.

Danny is a good, tough boxer but ATG at 140?
                    Yes I really do, Khan was not schooling him for 3 rounds. He had won the first two rounds by sheer volume but while he was throwing these combinations Garcia was timing him with bombs that were just missing. It was a matter of time before he caught Khan which he did.

What we need to realise is that 140 lbs is a real stepping stone division. Many other greats like Whitaker, Mayweather, etc have fought at this weight but actually haven't done very much at all at the weight and instead moved up sooner for more lucrative fights.

Take Mayweather for example, he is clearly a greater fighter than Danny Garcia based on his OVERALL achievements but at 140 lbs he only had one fight, against Arturo Gatti which doesn't compare to what Danny Garcia has done at 140lbs. Therefore I would rate Danny Garcia higher than Mayweather at 140lbs.

that's just my criteria, people may have different judgements but talent aside, i look at resume.

Comment

Originally posted by way2strong View Post
                      this guy should be banned

edit: if you think that highly of gift garcia let us know what you think of Bradley and his resume .. should make some of us hate you less
                      Banned for giving an opinion you disagree with? please, i did nothing wrong.

Bradley does have a great resume indeed but that's a different thread/topic. We are talking about Pryor and Garcia.

Comment

Working...
                      X