Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great inside fighters,why are they so rare now?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're not as popular as before though, PEDerson was a good inside fighting too

Comment

Cause now a days guys like Cotto are taught to be something your not, with this odd thought that you have to box and look a certain way in the ring to win. Look at what Cotto was turned into, and then look at what he was. He could have been a mini Mike Tyson with the right trainer.

Comment

It's like the mid range shot in the NBA, it's been abandoned for cheap thrills.

Such as the Long left or right hands/hooks.
        Trainers today don't seem to teach the importance of the inside game.

Comment

Defense, like many things in life, has many forms in boxing. It doesn't have to be about footwork and movement. Like they say, "offense is a great defense." I'm trying to recall a recent fight where the fighter's corner advises in the 7th or 9th round, "offense is now your defense." And I don't get why people shun fighters that move forward. Broner realized that he can't go on moving backward. Same thing with Maidana. In the end, they're fighting for dominance. The one who moves backward loses.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            It really is. The amateur system is now set up to flat out ignore, actually discourage, inside fighting.

An inside game today seems to consist of clinching, pushing off and getting the **** out of there. That's an inside game today.
            I wouldn't blame it entirely on the amateur system. Pro refereeing encourages clinching on the inside, too. Just watch Wlad vs Povetkin or Vazquez vs Shafikov. Some fighters literally always clinch on the inside, and they get away without so much as a point deduction.

I understand that clinching is a natural reaction, and I have no problem with a little holding and hitting, but I do have a problem with those who just tie up their opponent and wait for the ref to break them up.

Comment

wlad's one of the best inside fighters in the history of boxing

Comment

Because the teachers are rare. We need James Toney to start training fighters.

Comment

Ineffective in this day and age where clinching is seen as acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Slider View Post
                    Cause now a days guys like Cotto are taught to be something your not, with this odd thought that you have to box and look a certain way in the ring to win. Look at what Cotto was turned into, and then look at what he was. He could have been a mini Mike Tyson with the right trainer.
                    Cotto' susceptibility to uppercuts and lack of a right hand is what stopped him from being a more effective inside fighter. If he was truly that good to begin with he would have never needed to move as much. There was a segment in which Cotto was explaining to Marquez how he dismantled Mayorga, and Marquez gave a grin and asked "When you throw the left uppercut you also follow up with the right uppercut as well right?", Cotto just nodded.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                      Ineffective in this day and age where clinching is seen as acceptable.
                      Clinching has always been a part of effective in-fighting.

Comment

Working...
                      X