Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Russian Roulette: Mago’s too-brave stand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words - Russian Roulette: Mago’s too-brave stand

by David P. Greisman - The pinnacle was within sight, though not necessarily within reach.

Not quite yet, at least.

The heavyweight champion was not in the ring at The Theater at Madison Square Garden. Rather, Wladimir Klitschko was seated next to his beautiful actress fiancée as they watched the fight between Magomed Abdusalamov and Mike Perez.

Klitschko represented what Abdusalamov and Perez were fighting for. They sought his prestige and prosperity. They also sought the man himself. And so they understood the possibilities that could come from their performances. A win on HBO could earn the victor a return spot on a future broadcast, could make him the latest network darling to earn sizable paychecks while being put on a path to challenge, eventually, for the championship.

We say that fighters put their lives on the line, and that’s true in two ways. They subject themselves to more punches in one evening than many of us will take in a lifetime. They do this in the hopes of bettering themselves. Rare is the rich man who dons the gloves while young and continues to lace them up as a pro. Most boxers see this as a savage but worthy pursuit, as a way out and a way up. [Click Here To Read More]

First of all great article!!
    This has to be one of the toughest sports mainly bc it's an individual combat sport and it is why I believe you need to fight smart and be crafty; and pick and choose when to scrapy. This is how a guy like Bhop can box at the age of 48...ok fine Bhop is a freak and an alien but you understand what I mean!! For the fighters that are head first good luck bc while it's entertaining it's also dangerous long term wise

Comment

Let's not forget bloodthirsty Max Kellerman suggesting that this is how heavyweights should fight, that Wlad should be taking notes. Yes, I'm sure Wlad wants to end up in a coma in the hospital instead of being rich and comfortable and marrying his Hollywood girlfriend. The truth is that people who fight like Mago and Perez did will never have any longevity in the heavyweight division, where the punches are the hardest in the world coming from huge men. As Lennox said, it's about hitting and not getting hit. Sure, you can fight like these guys did, but your career will be short and your health likely ruined all to make guys like the HBO team happy. They don't have to look after you when it's over.

Comment

this is a vicious sport and that is what is prize fighting is all about...

Comment

Originally posted by Ulver View Post
          Let's not forget bloodthirsty Max Kellerman suggesting that this is how heavyweights should fight, that Wlad should be taking notes. Yes, I'm sure Wlad wants to end up in a coma in the hospital instead of being rich and comfortable and marrying his Hollywood girlfriend. The truth is that people who fight like Mago and Perez did will never have any longevity in the heavyweight division, where the punches are the hardest in the world coming from huge men. As Lennox said, it's about hitting and not getting hit. Sure, you can fight like these guys did, but your career will be short and your health likely ruined all to make guys like the HBO team happy. They don't have to look after you when it's over.
          Except it's not too common for fighters to have followings no matter how they fight. Some have the fortune of the support of networks, managers, promoters and highly loyal fan followings. The rest need to capture our attention somehow. That doesn't mean that every fighter goes balls to the wall, but the entertainment aspect is important.

Klitschko is a rarity. If he were the rule, Richar Abril and Miguel Vazquez would also be spectacularly popular.

-David

Comment

I want someone in the media to call out HBO for their obsessions with Gatti-Ward.

Throughout this fight they kept talking about how good it was to see this versus Wlad's fight. Add this to their Rigo hatred and they're pushing the boundary.

This is boxing. We already are lucky to see guys risks their health and lives; but it's not for our sick entertainment; it's for us to admire it however they they choose to pursue their difficult craft.

no more of demanding boxers to entertain us like clowns. and if they desire to "quit," that's fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by JaguaresMx View Post
              I want someone in the media to call out HBO for their obsessions with Gatti-Ward.

Throughout this fight they kept talking about how good it was to see this versus Wlad's fight. Add this to their Rigo hatred and they're pushing the boundary.

This is boxing. We already are lucky to see guys risks their health and lives; but it's not for our sick entertainment; it's for us to admire it however they they choose to pursue their difficult craft.

no more of demanding boxers to entertain us like clowns. and if they desire to "quit," that's fine too.
              Good post.

I remember everybody was all over Victor Ortiz for "quitting" against Lopez.

Then the x-rays that showed his jaw was broken clean through came out.

Oops.

Mago knew something was wrong, but they kept shoving him back out there.

Hey, if he dies, who next, right?

HBO will have a 10 count and then move right along.

Comment

may he get well soon....this just makes me even more mad at keyboard warriors who criticise the likes of alvarado for quitting.

Comment

Fighters Fight, Cowards Foul

Originally posted by Ulver View Post
                  I'm sure Kellerman didn't mean that boxers should fight with such reckless abandon that they end up in medically or punch-induced comas. Rather, his comment was in reference to the abysmal performance that Vladmir put on in the fight with Povetkin. Let's face it, if most or even half of Vlad's previous fights featured the kind of overt appearance of cowardice displayed in the Povetkin fight, he would not be the star that he is today. Holding is a foul, and Klitschko held all night! Leaning on the opponent's back and neck, and pushing him down after landing a shot are also fouls. He was afraid that Alexander would catch him on the inside on his glass jaw, so he held him whenever he got close. He leaned on him and pushed him down to cause fatigue. Fighting is a brutal sport. Nobody knows that better than the fighters themselves. I don't want to see anyone get seriously hurt or killed as a result of a boxing match. However, if a fighter gets in the ring but decides not to actually fight, maybe it's time to re-think his or her chosen profession.

Comment

Originally posted by JOM'S View Post
                    this is a vicious sport and that is what is prize fighting is all about...
                    If ending up in a coma in the hospital--something that could have been avoided had anyone paid attention to the fighter when he was obviously worried something was wrong between rounds--is what this sport is all about, then you can expect it to be banned in the future.

There's already lots of people and lots of politicians who would love to ban boxing, and things like this provide the best ammo they could ever want.

Comment

Working...
                    X