Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agbeko expects Mares fight to be re-scheduled(Interview)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agbeko expects Mares fight to be re-scheduled(Interview)

By Adam Denman

King Kong: "Donaire is not the king... The king of the division will be decided when I fight Mares"

One week after IBF bantamweight champion Joseph Agbeko collapsed in Los Angeles just six days before his scheduled fight with Abner Mares, Agbeko granted BT an interview to discuss his condition and his future. The fight with Mares, which had to be canceled, was to determine the winner of Showtime’s four-man bantamweight tournament. The consolation bout, in which Vic Darchynian stopped Yonnhy Perez, went forward as a Showtime stand-alone bout.

BT: I’m sorry that your fight was postponed and that you collapsed in Los Angeles. How is everything now after receiving treatment and everything?

Jospeh Agbeko: I’m feeling very, very good and much, much better. I’m going to be back in the gym very, very soon. The doctor said just take the shots, and then get back to the gym. I’m responding to the treatment quickly so I’ll be fine soon.

BT: I’m sure you're disappointed in the fight being postponed but your health comes first. What was the doctors advice on how long you would be sidelined for?

JA: The doctor said I just have to take the shots and rest for a short period of time. I’ll be back in the ring in either probably June or July I guess. I’ll be ready to get in the ring, and win.

BT: Obviously your itching to get back into the ring, when do you think we will see you back in the ring?

JA: I don’t have any date from Showtime but it’s still going to be against Abner Mares. I’m going to get back in the ring because the doctor said I need short rest.

BT: Showtime had to pull the plug on the fight, but what do you see in Mares that you feel that you would expose and beat him?

JA: It’s going to be a big fight. I know he is a hungry boxer, and I’m working very hard. I know it’s going to be one of my toughest fights.

BT: Do you believe a fight will go the full 12 rounds or do you see this fight ending by knockout?

JA: You get this far in your career and you cannot predict the knockouts all the time. Abner Mares is a good fighter, and he is also working hard to win my title so I am not going to predict a knockout against him. I know I will come out as the winner.

BT: If you get by Mares, who would you like to fight in the division?

JA: I become the number one fighter and best boxer at bantamweight. If I get very good competition from elsewhere, and if there is no competition [at 118 pounds], then I will move up in weight.

BT: Mares won a split decision win against Vic Darchynian someone that you also beat. Did you watch that fight?

JA: Yes, I watched it on television.

BT: Did you see any weaknesses in Mares against Darchynian while watching that fight?

JA: In boxing we all have weaknesses, and all have our advantages. Definitely some weaknesses but also some advantages as well.

BT: Did you watch the fight this past weekend ?

JA: I watched it on television, and [Darchinyan] looked very good.

BT: Nonito Donaire is considered the king of the bantamweight division right now. Is that someone that you would like to fight in order to unify the titles?

JA: Donaire is not the king of the division. The king of division will be determined between Abner Mares and I. Nonito Donaire is not the king of the division. He was given the chance to be in this tournament to prove who is the best boxer but he wasn’t that interested to be in this competition. The king of the division will be decided when I fight Abner Mares.

BT: After the fight with Abner Mares, would you like to fight Donaire?

JA: Yes, if Nonito Donaire wants to fight, I’ll fight him. After Abner Mares, I’ll be the best bantamweight in the world. If Nonito Donaire wants to be the best then you have to fight it to prove it.

BT: How much does it mean to you to win the tournament?

JA: It means so, so much to me. I want to become number one in every division that I going to be in. Winning this tournament will put me in that position. I’m going to fight, and by god’s grace I’ll be back in the gym very soon. I could give the fans what they want to watch.

BT: When will the fight take place with Mares?

JA: For now, were just waiting on Showtime. I want to thank my fans for there support, and say sorry that I wasn’t able to fight. I just want to let them know that I’ll be back. Everyone was expecting to see my fight, but I will be back in the gym soon.
Working...
X