Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is GGG situation similar to Paul Williams at Welterweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is GGG situation similar to Paul Williams at Welterweight?

No Top Stars at Welterweight wanted to face Paul Williams at Welterweight so he had to move up Super Welterweight.....so is GGG situation similar to Paul Williams? Should GGG move up if both Canelo & Cotto don't want to fight him?

Well no. Paul Williams didn't hang in a division hoping little fellas came to him. He went out and looked for those challenges.

Comment

Definitely.
      But take the belts.
      People can call them paper belts all they like but history will show who vacated them rather than face him
      He needs Lee to win. AL has said he'll face him next, BJS is honest enough to say he'll avoid for at least 18 mths
      GGG don't get an 18 mth pass
      I'm looking forward to seeing how he looks at 168. Abraham was steam rolling everyone at 160 but looks limited at 168. I definately think gg has more to his game than AA but need to see how it goes

Comment

Golovkin hasn't lost to a somewhat weak contender. Golovkin has handled all his Carlos Quintana's

Comment

Not yet. There haven't been any stars in GGG's division until the recent arrival of Cotto and now Canelo. For a long time GGG was being ducked by guys who were barely even recognizable, never mind stars.

Comment

Paul was a freak of nature at WW. He was bigger than most MW's when he fought at 147, so not only did he have impressive skills but he had an ungodly size advantage. Between Paul Williams intimidating physical stature and Cotto's surging victories over Juday & Mosely, there's a reason Floyd retired during that time period.

Golovkin is dominating as a natural MW, where Paul was more of a guy who could boil down to a smaller weight class. That aside, yeah nobody other than Margarito who was also being avoided, wanted anything to do with Paul.

Comment

I've often drawn this parallel but for different reasons.

The GGG online hype is similar to the hype Paul Williams was getting a few years ago. That's why I don't buy into this GGG stuff so easily.

Williams was promoted as a monster who would dominate 3 divisions - same as Golovkin was - but then started turning a bit diva-ish. Asking for catchweights against Martinez - similar to GGG asking Ward for a catchweight.

He eventually got found out but Williams took a lot more risks than Golovkin that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                I've often drawn this parallel but for different reasons.

The GGG online hype is similar to the hype Paul Williams was getting a few years ago. That's why I don't buy into this GGG stuff so easily.

Williams was promoted as a monster who would dominate 3 divisions - same as Golovkin was - but then started turning a bit diva-ish. Asking for catchweights against Martinez - similar to GGG asking Ward for a catchweight.

He eventually got found out but Williams took a lot more risks than Golovkin that's for sure.

This right here.

Comment

No PW seeked greatness by moving up ggg wont unless it for flat footed fighters

Comment

Williams would have jumped at the opportunity to jump up one weight class and battle it out for pound for pound supremecy. He didn't sit around and wait for big fights. He pursues them no matter the weight class.

Comment

Working...
                    X